Need your help formatting hard drive

BD997

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Boston, MA
Hey guys... I got a virus on my cpter and have to erase the entire hard drive... This will also erase my iTunes and all my saved contacts for my phone... How can I save my contacts to another source in order for me not to have to input every single contact on my phone again....? Please help...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I believe that iTunes will copy them back over to your computer from the iPhone when you sync it. That's what happened when I had to reinstall my MacBook's OS last month.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
When reformatted my harddrive I wrote down all my contacts and printed them out

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Hey guys... I got a virus on my cpter and have to erase the entire hard drive... This will also erase my iTunes and all my saved contacts for my phone... How can I save my contacts to another source in order for me not to have to input every single contact on my phone again....? Please help...

If your on a windows machine , your contacts are probably saved in windows contacts, you can export them to a thumb drive etc...

I just copy my entire iTunes library to my thumb drive also ( the whole iTunes folder) then when you format and go to reinstall everything just insert the thumb drive and import your contacts and then copy that iTunes folder back onto the computer and you should be good to go.

Its worked for me when i have changed computers i was syncing to. The last time i went from a Hp laptop to a MacBook and it was fairly flawless

Good Luck and sorry to hear you have to reformat that always sucks.

One thing have you tried using AVG free virus scan to remove that virus. I had one that norton and another scan could find but couldnt remove ran avg one time and it was gone

BD997

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Boston, MA
Thank you guys... I'll try all those things...

BD997

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Boston, MA
If your on a windows machine , your contacts are probably saved in windows contacts, you can export them to a thumb drive etc...

I just copy my entire iTunes library to my thumb drive also ( the whole iTunes folder) then when you format and go to reinstall everything just insert the thumb drive and import your contacts and then copy that iTunes folder back onto the computer and you should be good to go.

Its worked for me when i have changed computers i was syncing to. The last time i went from a Hp laptop to a MacBook and it was fairly flawless

Good Luck and sorry to hear you have to reformat that always sucks.

One thing have you tried using AVG free virus scan to remove that virus. I had one that norton and another scan could find but couldnt remove ran avg one time and it was gone
Where is this iTunes folder? Which one?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Lincoln. May I ask why you had to reinstall the os on your mac?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Where is this iTunes folder? Which one?
I was going to suggest AVG or Panda to the poster also. You can get AVG For Free at www.cnet.com if you are able to get online. You can also run a virus scan from Panda by clicking here. Both Antivirus suites are wonderful and catch, contain or destroy far more viruses than Norton or McAfee...Mark

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Once a virus has infected your computer the best thing to do is format that dawg and start all over from scratch if you don't your computer will never run right.

If I were you I'd try to find some generous soul who has iTunes on their computer and back up my contacts that way. Copying files from an infected computer and installing them on a newly installed OS is never a good idea.

Hope everything works out for the best. :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Once a virus has infected your computer the best thing to do is format that dawg and start all over from scratch if you don't your computer will never run right.

If I were you I'd try to find some generous soul who has iTunes on their computer and back up my contacts that way. Copying files from an infected computer and installing them on a newly installed OS is never a good idea.

Hope everything works out for the best. :)
Tug,
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. Maybe four or five years ago this was true. The very robust offerings from AVG and Panda along with Spybot and Spyware Blaster prevent having to format any longer. Believe me running AVG or Panda makes your computer whole again. The two have advanced technology for finding viruses disguised as something else and hidden in the registry. Also the extensive file searches and removal of viruses found make Panda and AVG second to none...Mark

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Tug,
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. Maybe four or five years ago this was true. The very robust offerings from AVG and Panda along with Spybot and Spyware Blaster prevent having to format any longer. Believe me running AVG or Panda makes your computer whole again. The two have advanced technology for finding viruses disguised as something else and hidden in the registry. Also the extensive file searches and removal of viruses found make Panda and AVG second to none...Mark
Mark the programs that you mentioned are anti virus programs, once you have a virus on your computer and it's already started to corrupt necessary operating system files the programs you mentioned may remove the virus but they cant repair the files that have already been corrupt and unless those files are repaired your computer will never run the way it was meant to.

To my knowledge as long as your using your computer Windows wont allow you to rewrite over an essential operating system file, the only way to do that is either by using DOS (which I don't think you can do anymore) or to format your HD and reinstall the entire operating system.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Sign up for a mobile me trial account - then sync your contacts. You won't lose any contacts or bookmarks...

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Sign up for a mobile me trial account - then sync your contacts. You won't lose any contacts or bookmarks...
I checked it out, even though its a free trial they still want your CC info... pass.

Thanks anyway :)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I checked it out, even though its a free trial they still want your CC info... pass.

Thanks anyway :)
NP. I actually use my MM account - but I would be happy to sign up for a day or two and then cancel.

Since that doesn't work, just follow the advice given. You should be ok.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
just to confirm what Lincoln mentioned... after you reformat, the very first time you re-sync your phone, iTunes will ask you if you want to "merge" the data on your phone with your PC. This will re-import all of your contacts to Windows Mail, Outlook, or outlook express (whatever you happen to be using).

As always, you shouldn't HAVE to export your contacts for redundancy, but it's not a bad idea.