NES 1.7.0 released, by far the best!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Not on Installer yet, of course, but here's how to manually install. Download it by clicking here. If the link doesn't work, it's because he has another new version out since I've posted this, so click here to go the main site and download the latest build. Extract it somewhere on your computer. Now log into your phone using WinSCP or something similar. Now go to the extracted folder, then the build folder, and copy the NES.app folder from your computer into the Applications folder on your iPhone. Now the important part - you need to go into the NES.app folder on your iPhone, find the NES file, right click it, and go to Properties. You should see three columns of check mark boxes, a column of 3, a column of 2, and another column of 3. In the far right column, check all of those boxes (the permissions should be set at 0755). Now go play.

If you need more detailed instructions, just ask.

As far as this release, here are the release notes.
1.7.0 [nervegas] Code and leak cleanup
Fixed many writes to invalid memory addresses
Corrected APU IRQs
Raised volume of white noise channel
Built for Toolchain 0.30 - much faster
Added true wait periods per frame to prevent running fast
Rewrote auto-frameskip code, much smoother

And if you're wondering why new NES releases haven't been showing up in Installer.app, here is a quote from nervegas (the developer of NES):

We do not maintain Installer.app!
We do not package NES.app for Installer.app. This is done by a third party, who lately is a bit slow at new releases. Please do not ask us when the next version will be available for Installer, as it is not our concern. We recommend you use the distribution available here.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've never liked the Auto Frameskip until now. It doesn't seem to make the game look soo jumpy when things move. The advantage of using auto frameskip now is that the music will rarely stutter compared to the previous versions.

BTW- DoubleDragon 1 is a really good game once you get the hang of it. I never realized just HOW GOOD it was when I first played it like 15+ years ago, lol.

MarkMan

Sep 30, 2007
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the heads up... I'm totally N00b at this... I just got my iPhone the other day.

How can I access my iPhone using a program and to see it's files? I saw you mentioned WinSCP... are there any other files I can use aside from that? Would a standard FTP program work?

I understand how the updates work, I'd just like this information for my own knowledge... Thanks!

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for the heads up... I'm totally N00b at this... I just got my iPhone the other day.

How can I access my iPhone using a program and to see it's files? I saw you mentioned WinSCP... are there any other files I can use aside from that? Would a standard FTP program work?

I understand how the updates work, I'd just like this information for my own knowledge... Thanks!
No, you need an ftp app that supports SCP.

You can also try PSCP found here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

WinSCP is the easiest to use from my experience...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes 1.7.1 is nice. Really nice to have apps back again.

I am finally going to donate to the NES effort--it's definitely a usable and enjoyable application now. I was about to give someone $100 just to swap for a 1.0.2 iPhone so I figure I can just put that money to the devs who worked to give me these third-party apps in the first place.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
yes 1.7.1 is nice. Really nice to have apps back again.

I am finally going to donate to the NES effort--it's definitely a usable and enjoyable application now. I was about to give someone $100 just to swap for a 1.0.2 iPhone so I figure I can just put that money to the devs who worked to give me these third-party apps in the first place.

--
Mike
My thoughts exactly. These last few revisions have enabled the rest of the games that I like which haven't been compatible until now. I am basically playing every game that I would want to play on my iPhone finally. This isn't for novelty either, we've gone past that point with RC 1.0, I'm actually putting down blocks of time on my iPhone playing NES games from start to finish over the course of a week's lunch breaks thanks to the save state feature.

I'll send these guys some dough this evening. I figure 10 bux is a good start, its what I paid for that SpicyPixel emulator on the PocketPC years back.

If anyone else out there finds themselves in a similar situation, dig deep, it's time to ante up folks!

Even with all these 1.1.1 rainclouds we continue to get NES updates to brighten our day :)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
My thoughts exactly. These last few revisions have enabled the rest of the games that I like which haven't been compatible until now. I am basically playing every game that I would want to play on my iPhone finally. This isn't for novelty either, we've gone past that point with RC 1.0, I'm actually putting down blocks of time on my iPhone playing NES games from start to finish over the course of a week's lunch breaks thanks to the save state feature.

I'll send these guys some dough this evening. I figure 10 bux is a good start, its what I paid for that SpicyPixel emulator on the PocketPC years back.

If anyone else out there finds themselves in a similar situation, dig deep, it's time to ante up folks!

Even with all these 1.1.1 rainclouds we continue to get NES updates to brighten our day :)
Yeah, NES is the only app that has always remained constant. I never fail to smile every day when the NES update comes out. It's by the far the most developed third party app for the iPhone and I think the guy deserves all the donations he can get.

Now the only thing I wish he would do is allow suggestions, like the Books programmar. I wonder why he is so strict on not talking to the public...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, NES is the only app that has always remained constant. I never fail to smile every day when the NES update comes out. It's by the far the most developed third party app for the iPhone and I think the guy deserves all the donations he can get.

Now the only thing I wish he would do is allow suggestions, like the Books programmar. I wonder why he is so strict on not talking to the public...
Oh, they'll listen if you make your suggestions in the area PayPal allows you to make comments in when sending a donation :p

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
well I'm going to try going to 1.0.2 tonight as I am on 1.1.1. Wish me luck that I have no problems, and this is the first thing im going for!

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
wow its got me all messed up should i be putting in a host name and the user and password to get it working, and once im there im sure ill be lost again....:(