NES Icon: Ditch the mushroom, this ain't a kid's toy!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Alright, after a little chat with another forum regular I've decided to hash out another NES icon. Anyway, I like my icons to carry that apple-esque look to them, clean and sophisticated, and the stock NES icon it is not.

Edit - Different icon sizes added

64x64

New Work in Progress:

64x64

57x60
(best size imho)

Attachments

james2475

Aug 18, 2007
Alright, after a little chat with another forum regular I've decided to hash out another NES icon. Anyway, I like my icons to carry that apple-esque look to them, clean and sophisticated, and the stock NES icon it is not.
can you make that with a reflection please let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
@Mogz

Thanks for the post, glad you could put some use to this icon.

@Jason

Do you mean a reflection like iTunes does to your album covers in the flip-cover menu?

If I add that, I'll have to shrink the icon down to make room for it to all fit within the 100x100 footprint. I can try and see what it looks like if that is what you're asking for.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Here it is at 64 x 64...
Blargh!

I was using the PSD supplied on the Apper website as my button base. I should have known to have made my own from scratch, and that's just what I did. Unfortunately, I did this while creating a new icon for Apollo, I hate that spaceship icon, lol. I'll edit this post with the proper sized icon.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Edit - Corrected icon size, now 64x64

New Work in Progress:

Good job, buddy. Looks perfect, thank you! Now I wish that it wouldn't revert back to the stupid mushroom one every time I update.... :( . I guess I'll just have to update to your icon every night when I get home, unless there's a way to lock your icon.png file to never be over written or something like that. Anyone know how?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I thought the icons were actually supposed to be 59x60.
Thats what my original was, however once it was brought to my attention I was able to discern a difference between my icon and say the iTunes icon. The YouTube icon is actually smaller than the others, which is why my icons never appeared to be any different, they were in the same row with YouTubes.

An easy way to tell if an icon is the proper size, I have discovered, is to launch Finder.app and browse your applications folder. Look at the icons carefuly, if they do not appear very crisp, they are most likely being scaled upwards because they are not the 64x64 tile size the display wants to show. Once I redid my icons to the proper dimensions I no longer noticed my icons being "softened" by image scaling.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Good job, buddy. Looks perfect, thank you! Now I wish that it wouldn't revert back to the stupid mushroom one every time I update.... . I guess I'll just have to update to your icon every night when I get home, unless there's a way to lock your icon.png file to never be over written or something like that. Anyone know how?
And thank you for the initiative to press forward with another icon. Not only do I have an even better looking icon, but it's actually the right size now :p
Thanks!

Edit-

Yes, what you do is create a new folder on your iPaq, min is in /var/root/library/documents. From there I created another folder for icons, each folder is named after it's icon. So NES folder has icon.png inside it. I'm sure you see where I'm going, once I do an update I head back to Finder.app and copy the icon.png from my icons folder and paste it over the mushroom head icon in the updated NES install folder. Pretty easy stuff, and you'll never need to dock your iPhone to do it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
And thank you for the initiative to press forward with another icon. Not only do I have an even better looking icon, but it's actually the right size now :p
Thanks!

Edit-

Yes, what you do is create a new folder on your iPaq, min is in /var/root/library/documents. From there I created another folder for icons, each folder is named after it's icon. So NES folder has icon.png inside it. I'm sure you see where I'm going, once I do an update I head back to Finder.app and copy the icon.png from my icons folder and paste it over the mushroom head icon in the updated NES install folder. Pretty easy stuff, and you'll never need to dock your iPhone to do it :)
Good idea. :) That works well enough.

Just as a side note, I thought that if I edited the permissions on the new icon.png file to "Read" and not "Write" that it would not be able to be overwritten by the update. I was wrong though, it still overwrites it no matter what the permissions are set at. I really thought it would work though and was pretty excited...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Good idea. :) That works well enough.

Just as a side note, I thought that if I edited the permissions on the new icon.png file to "Read" and not "Write" that it would not be able to be overwritten by the update. I was wrong though, it still overwrites it no matter what the permissions are set at. I really thought it would work though and was pretty excited...
Hah, I hadn't thought of that, and it sounded like a good idea too. It's a shame it doesn't work :(

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Hah, I hadn't thought of that, and it sounded like a good idea too. It's a shame it doesn't work :(
Have you considered sending that icon to nervegas? He says that he's "experimenting" with the mushroom icon, and maybe it's because he's not satisfied with it and it looking for something better...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Have you considered sending that icon to nervegas? He says that he's "experimenting" with the mushroom icon, and maybe it's because he's not satisfied with it and it looking for something better...
I have thought about it, but u have no clue how to contact him. I really doubt he reads that paypal account he's got listed for donations.

Also, I'm worried he'll want to add a mushroom on the little screen, and i don't really want to. Lol

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have thought about it, but u have no clue how to contact him. I really doubt he reads that paypal account he's got listed for donations.

Also, I'm worried he'll want to add a mushroom on the little screen, and i don't really want to. Lol
Haha, yeah the guy does have some freaky obsession with mushrooms, that's for sure.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I thought the icons were actually supposed to be 59x60.
Based on your post, I took a pixel by pixel look at what the heck is going on here, and it turns out all of our dimensions were off.

Going solely off the Phone icon, I measured the pixel dimensions and they turned out to be 57x59. The icon itself is 57x57 and it gains an extra 2 pixels with the drop shadow.

Because of this discovery, a lazy one at best, I am going to redo ALL of my icons... So, if you're a perfectionist check back in this thread a little later for some updated icons.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Boy this has been a real project, the icon sizes are all over the place, so I just matched up what I did to the same dimensions as Apple's icons as much as I could. I'm not going to be making any other sizes, this last icon looks fine on my rig and that's that :p

57x60

Attachments