NES New Version 1.00_RC2 Questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok here are the release notes:

1.00_RC2[nervegas] Added suspend for incoming call, graceful exit for power off
Removed "Allow Suspend" option, too complicated with sound
Changed on-demand installer text to be more coherent+restart
Added Swap A/B Preference
Tapered off buttons in full screen / landscape mode
Cleanup of full screen code, fixes for buffer overruns
Fixed some games not appearing right in full screen
New icon to experiment with
Fixed sound looping issues (e.g. Zelda, Faxanadu, etc)

NOTE: Use vibrate mode to avoid losing sound to Mail/SMS

Now a couple questions:

1. The "Swap A/B Preference" doesn't seem to do anything. Is this the same for anyone else?
2. What do they mean by "Use vibrate mode to avoid losing sound to Mail/SMS." Does that mean that if we forget to put the phone in vibrate mode before playing, that our sounds for SMS and Mail will stop working? This is pretty scary if that's what this means.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well I for one am nervous about the sound support.

This morning my iPhone had no sound. My morning alarm was silent.

I hadn't done anything but play NES with sound the night before. I didn't futz around with mediaserverd manually at all. Still, I had to manually enable it to get sound again.

Having sound just "shut off" is far too risky for me. I hope this is fixed in RC2.

--
Mike

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Ok here are the release notes:

1.00_RC2[nervegas] Added suspend for incoming call, graceful exit for power off
Removed "Allow Suspend" option, too complicated with sound
Changed on-demand installer text to be more coherent+restart
Added Swap A/B Preference
Tapered off buttons in full screen / landscape mode
Cleanup of full screen code, fixes for buffer overruns
Fixed some games not appearing right in full screen
New icon to experiment with
Fixed sound looping issues (e.g. Zelda, Faxanadu, etc)

NOTE: Use vibrate mode to avoid losing sound to Mail/SMS

Now a couple questions:

1. The "Swap A/B Preference" doesn't seem to do anything. Is this the same for anyone else?
2. What do they mean by "Use vibrate mode to avoid losing sound to Mail/SMS." Does that mean that if we forget to put the phone in vibrate mode before playing, that our sounds for SMS and Mail will stop working? This is pretty scary if that's what this means.
From the ReadMe: "Since NES.app is friendly towards other applications needing sound, you might want to place the iPhone in "vibrate" mode to avoid letting Mail and SMS alerts take back control of the sound."

If I understand correctly, if you don't put your phone in vibrate mode before launching NES, any mail or SMS alert will disable sound for your NES.

Btw, I accidentally hit "no" the first time NES asked if I wanted to place my phone in ON DEMAND mode. I couldn't find it in the preferences, and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't do the trick either. So my question is: What changes are made to coreaudiod.plist to enable On Demand? Is it just changing the <false/> statement to <true/>, or were the other changes made?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
From the ReadMe: "Since NES.app is friendly towards other applications needing sound, you might want to place the iPhone in "vibrate" mode to avoid letting Mail and SMS alerts take back control of the sound."

If I understand correctly, if you don't put your phone in vibrate mode before launching NES, any mail or SMS alert will disable sound for your NES.

Btw, I accidentally hit "no" the first time NES asked if I wanted to place my phone in ON DEMAND mode. I couldn't find it in the preferences, and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't do the trick either. So my question is: What changes are made to coreaudiod.plist to enable On Demand? Is it just changing the <false/> statement to <true/>, or were the other changes made?
According to him, that's the only change that is made.