Nest Protect

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by chris, Oct 8, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Is anyone getting the Nest Protect, the new smoke + carbon monoxide alarm from Nest Labs? I have all new alarms, but will be replacing one with the Protect. I have the Nest Thermostat and have for the most part, been pleased with it.

nest-protect.jpg

I ordered the wired version. Seems like a pretty straightforward install.

#1 chris, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Chris. Can you give us your opinion (likes and dislikes) about the Nest? We've thought about it for our home but are inclined to think we'd need a professional to install it. We can't even figure out how to remove the old thermostat. (GRIN)

advTHANKSance.

Sent using iCafe app

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Sure, I did a review of the Nest last year. Since then, I'm still happy with it, for the most part. I'd like to be able to completely turn off heat/cooling. This month has been very comfortable in NY, even some hot days in October. We had our attic open over the weekend. It's directly above the Nest. I had the 'away' setting to 79 degrees. To my surprise, the air conditioning came on. Granted, I was able to easily fix this by changing my away settings, but it would have been easier to turn off completely.

The occasional issue with WiFi, but I blame that on my router which has been problematic with other devices (TiVo).

Having control of your thermostat from iPhone, iPad and computer is a powerful thing. During the peak heating/cooling months, I monitor it like a hawk. It learns my changes and my schedule is correct for the most part. I think the real value is having access and making changes. If I was away all day, I would use the scheduling more often.

It's also great when I go away. I had mine setup by my electrician, part of my remodeling bill. This seems to be a bit more tricky than Protect, since it involves your heating/cooling system.

If you did hire an electrician, I can't see this taking more than an hour for one, if not both (if you have multiple zones).

Would I recommend it? Definitely. I love it.

#3 chris, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Chris, I really need to come and fit a BMS system to your house. Nest is great, but it still requires a human input. You need something automatic, which will only notify you when you really need it. Smoke alarms included :)

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Right. We all remember what happened the last time we designed something that needed no human input...

skynet-britanico.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The Nest Protect is really starting to get on my nerves. Apparently, it has supersonic sensors which can set off a false alarm by dust. Admittedly, we have wood floors, a toddler, two cats and no Roomba. Things get dusty, but it's hardly a dirty house. For no reason, it went off the other night. Yesterday, precisely timed during my daughter's nap, it went off again. I had to pull it out of the wall. Now I have to go shopping for compressed air, something I never had to do with a regular alarm.

Yeah, so I'm a bit over the $129 Nest Protect. Glass half full, they did a great job by early adopters by sending a check to offset the price change. Seriously, these need to be no more than $60 or so. Even at that price, it's hard to justify.