Nested folders

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by lancer_325, Sep 4, 2014.

1. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Anybody using iOS 8 beta know if iOS 8 will allow nested folders? I have used them on iOS 7 and they are great. Only problem is when I sync to iTunes it resets the folders again. I'm not jail broken and do not want to jailbreak. Just wondered.

#1 lancer_325, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You cannot nest a folder within another folder in iOS 8. At least, based on my testing of iOS 8 beta 5. I suspect at this late stage of the beta, this isn't a feature that will make it the public release.

When you say that you've used nested folders in iOS 7, are you referring to stock iOS 7. If so, that's news to me.

3. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Yes the stock iOS 7. How I do it is when I'm creating a new folder with 2 items as soon as it's created it I immediately drag a folder into the newly created one and voila there you have a nested folder. You have to be quick though. I love the ability to nest folders and was hoping it would be a feature of ios8. Thanks for the reply.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Ok, so this is similar to the process used to hide Newsstand. Honestly, I've never been much of a fan of folders, let alone nested folders. Just always looked messy to me.

I can't do it on iOS 8, but it may be my technique or lack of it. I'll do some testing on an iOS 7 device, as it might just be me.

5. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Yes similar to newsstand alright. To create a nested folder I have to be quick once the new folder is created. Quick as you can drag a folder into the newly created one. I do it the second I place one app over the other I get ready to drag the folder into the new one just created. Helps to have the desires folder beside the two apps you are going to use to create the new folder. Sorry for all the ref to folders :)

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The method you are using to nest folders works great on the latest iOS 8 beta. I just tested it and got it on my first try. Since the final version of iOS 8 is right around the corner and this is still working, I'd say we have a good shot of it continuing to work.

7. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa. I Wonder though if the nested folders are removed when you sync your phone with iTunes again. That's what happens to me at the moment in ios7.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I wish I could nest folders. I haven't been able to achieve it following the directions I had.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Using folders always looks organized to me. Funny how people view things differently.

10. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Oh you would hate my homescreen. Out of the twenty available slots (not including the dock) I have 15 folders on the first page. I agree with the organized look of the folders.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

A few months back, I looked at the different ways people organize their home screens. I'm pretty certain where you fit in.:D

12. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I do absolutely loathe the fact that I have to swipe to the second screen for some folders. I do have the stock apps that I don't use in a folder over there and ones where I don't go to frequently (apps for my 1 1/2 year old).

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Chris hates this! :D
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1409859447.266456.jpg

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My eyes, my eyes! :eek: Oh the horror!

15. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

All those folders and you still have that many pages? Not judging, lol. :)

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Eek! For me, folders are fine, but only in moderation and on page two. I just can't stand to have that many apps. I start feeling like a hoarder if I have more than forty apps. Home screens that cluttered make me feel uneasy - like walking into a packrat's house. :D

17. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I only use folders after the first page on my iPhone. First page is for the "used frequently" apps.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The last 2 only have I bookmarklet on each page. The 3rd only has about 5. Most of the second page are bookmarklets in folders. All sorts of stuff.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've tried it that way, but I keep going back to how I have it now. It just works for me.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I do have too many apps. I've picked up a bunch of good ones free and am trying them out. Many are similar. I'll delete those I don't want soon. I'm at 142 apps. I want to get it down to about 85. I use a lot of photography apps. I'll keep most of those. I have too many productivity and game apps.