Netbook

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I was thinking of getting my kids a Netbook. But I am confused about them. I know you can surf the net, but will they do word processing?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't know what it's like in the states but i recently bought my gf a Dell Mini 10. (pretty pink)

They come with Mircosoft works pre-installed, it has it's limitations but it works fine for word processing.

Another bonus is that the battery life lasts for a shockingly long amount of time. You can even buy bigger battery's for most netbooks to date.

Cons- no cd drive... this is obviously one of the biggest killers for buyers. Especially if your kids like to watch a dvd, you'll have to have movies saved to a Ext HD.

I personally think there really good, they look smart as well. They either come with Windows xp or linux

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
They can pretty much do anything a laptop can. You just need an external CD/DVD drive if they plan on watching movies are burn CD's/DVD's.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You just need an external CD/DVD drive if they plan on watching movies are burn CD's/DVD's.

Agreed, but having an ext cd/dvd drive hanging out of USB slot sort of underminds the fact that it's a netbook. It's keyrole is simplicity.

H

Hayesimus

what the heck?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thank you all for the info. If I aurhorize the netbooks to my iTunes account, then the kids can watch movies that I have on there, right? Or do they nor have enough disk space?

They watch movies on the touch and iPod nano now, and they like that. No movies on netbook not a deal breaker. They need web for school research, typing papers, having fun, & email.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Check out newegg.com Koko. They have some deals there usually.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thank you all for the info. If I aurhorize the netbooks to my iTunes account, then the kids can watch movies that I have on there, right? Or do they nor have enough disk space?

They watch movies on the touch and iPod nano now, and they like that. No movies on netbook not a deal breaker. They need web for school research, typing papers, having fun, & email.
Like i said in my ^above post. I only payed £300 for a dell mini 10. it came with a 160gb HD so it's got more than enough. You can get less disk space than that- you can also get solid state HD's, but there slightly more expensive.

Let us know how you get on.