Netbook?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Hello,

So one of my sisters passed Grade 4 with really good scores so I decided to buy her a portable computer as a gift. I was looking for some laptops and I didn't really find anything good for my price range, which is 2000 Egyptian pounds (357 USD). I was on a website that has a store in Egypt selling electronics and such, and I found this really awesome Netbook that I am thinking of buying for my sister. It's the Acer Aspire One AOA150.

Here's a video review from some guy -

Specs:

• Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.60 GHz, 512KB Cache
  • Memory: 1 GB
  • Hard Disk: 160 GB SATA
  • Screen: WSVGA TFT
  • Screen Size: 8.9"
  • Display Card: Intel GMA 945 GS
  • Display Card Memory: 224 MB Dedicated
  • Ethernet: 10 / 100
  • Modem
  • Webcam: 1.3 MP
  • Memory Card Reader
  • Microphone
  • USB 2.0
  • D-Sub
  • Wi-Fi: 802.11B/G
  • Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
  • Weight: 1.0 Kg
  • Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty
It has a couple of flaws though. First, no CD-ROM (what can be done about that?). Two, no Bluetooth (can easily buy a bluetooth USB adapter though, already have one I think). Three, I read a review about it on CNET and they said the touchpad is really heavy and not good. So do you guys recommend this Netbook since it is small and there is a pink version of it (which my sister will love)? My sister usually does three things on her computer - Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, and websites like Miniclip that have online fun games for kids. I am not sure if she is ever going to use the CD-Rom, but perhaps if she buys a movie for instance and wants to watch it. Also, how am I supposed to re-install Windows XP Home (or what ever version) if some thing happens to the current one?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Here is another Netbook I found, which is at Compu Me Egypt (near to my house):

Packard Bell Netbook DOA150

Processor: Intel ATOM N270 1.6GHz, 512KB Cache
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Disk: 160 GB SATA
Screen: WSVGA TFT
Screen Size: 8.9"
Display Card: Intel GMA 945 GS
Display Card Memory: 224MB Dedicated
Ehernet: 10 / 100
Webcam: 1.3 MP
Memory Card Reader: (yes)
USB 2.0: (yes)
D-Sub: (yes)
WiFi: 802.11 b/g
Extras: Multi Touch Pad
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty

But also no CD-ROM, I'm sure. Plus, I've never heard of Packard Bell before. I was just on Compu Me's website and I didn't find the Acer one that I wanted to purchase, so I'm afraid they're out of stock :(.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can reinstall Windows right from the computer without any discs. They put the restore files on the HD. They have to as Windows needs to be reinstalled frequently to keep working properly. I'd put Linux on it or just buy one that's running Linux already. I prefer a Laptop, but I think these are pretty good for the money and she'll be really happy with it if she doesn't already have a computer. The CD drive is unnessary anyway. Everything is going digital. I honestly hardly ever use my CD/DVD drives on my computers anymore. Just use flash drives instead of CD's for data storage and transfer. I'm sure she can live without bluetooth, but just make sure it has a high speed USB port.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
She won't be able to play a DVD movie, but she can buy or rent a digital copy from iTunes. It's pretty easy to reinstall Windows, you can find the steps easy enough by Googling it, and if you have any trouble, tech support can help you.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thanks a lot. Well, my sisters both have one computer (a normal Desktop but awesome one) and one of them wanted a laptop ever since the beginning of 2009, so I asked her to wait and do good in exams then I'll buy her one. I don't have enough money and that's why I want to buy a Netbook. What sucks is, I called Compu Me, and they said they're totally out of stock, they don't have any Netbooks any more. That totally sucks, I think I'll call Virgin Mega Store, maybe they have one.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Never mind, I found a very good, yet cheap Notebook that I am going to buy her. It's an Acer Aspire 4710.

CPU : Intel Centrino Duo 1.87 GHz
RAM : 1.50 GB
HD : 120 GB
Display : Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Wide Screen /Bright View (14.1 Inch
Bluetooth + Wireless + Mic + Card Reader
Cam Crystal Eye
Battery 2 Hour and 45 Minutes

For only $370 USD

Pretty neat huh?

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Hey look i found a Hackintosh Netbook on Craigslist

For Sale is a Dell Inspiron Mini9 Netbook beautifully upgraded and furnished with Macintosh OSX 10.5.7 Leopard and iLife '09. New in box with AC Adapter and install discs.

This laptop is the envy of all other laptops; it is the netbook that Apple never made and can load OS X faster than a MacBook Pro (due to its upgraded 32GB SSD). It is as small, light and inexpensive as its Windows and Linux peers but can run Macintosh OSX Leopard, the most advanced operating system in the world. Everything works seamlessly, including built-in web cam, stereo sound, ethernet, Wifi, SD port, 1024x600 glossy screen and sleep function. Battery should last about four hours. We have upgraded the SSD hard disk to a whopping 32GB (came with only 8gb). This unit is very, very cool and cute and also makes a fantastic gift due to its uniqueness. It weights less than 2.5 pounds but is $1400 cheaper than the MacBook Air, and much more portable! Please e-mail me if you are interested or have any questions. Thanks for looking!

I am a NYU student, so I will not be in the city for a lot of this summer. If we cannot choose a convenient pick-up time, I'd be happy to ship the unit free of charge. I'm a verified seller on PayPal, so if you can pay me through PayPal we can work it out with PayPal buyer insurance, ship through paypal and the whole works to keep both of us protected.

Technical Specifications:
Computer: Dell Inspiron Mini9
Processor: Intel Atom 1.6ghz
RAM: 1024mb
Hard Drive: 32GB SSD PCIe (no moving parts)
Screen Size: Glossy 8.9 inch backlit LED
Optical Drive: None
Media Reader: 3-in-1 Media Card Reader
Wireless: 802.11g mini-card
Modem: None
Network: 10/100 Ethernet (standard)
Video: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Sound: Integrated
Pointing Device: Touch Pad
USB Ports: USB 2.0 (3)
Operating System: Macintosh OS X 10.5.7 Leopard (Windows XP OEM sticker on back with activation code)
System Weight: 2.28 LBS
Battery: 4-cell 32WHr Li-Ion
Power Adapter: Included
Additonal Features: Integrated WebCam
In the box: Dell Mini9 Netbook, AC Adapter, Dell Original Install Disks, Dell Inspiron Welcome Guide