Netflix update . . .

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by michael180, Nov 12, 2014.

1. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

Can somebody tell me why the new Netflix update looks so gorgeous on my iPhone 6, and so ugly on my iPad Mini with retina? It looks at though I'm watching old VHS tapes, not even as good as Beta!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This sometimes resolves on its own if you give it some time.

Search for "Example Short 23.976" in Netflix and play one of the videos. It lists the kbps you are receiving. You should get several thousand if your internet speed is > 7 Mbps. Post your results for the iPhone and the iPad.

3. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

I guess I'm missing something. When I enter "Example Short 23.976", I get a screen from Netflix, and the same number?
    Hang on, I think I have it, I'll be right back.

#3 michael180, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

Ok on the iPhone it's 1750kbps, on the iPad it's 560kbps, that's quit a difference. How to I fix the iPad?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It might resolve on its own. But if you want to try some things now, I would first reset your network settings. Run the video again after that to check the speed. Give it about two minutes before you note the speed. If that doesn't work, try switching to Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8).
    Settings > WiFi > Your WiFi network > Tap the blue circle with a letter I that is next to the WiFi symbol > DNS > Delete the number and add 8.8.8.8. Then test Netflix again. If that doesn't work, you can change it back to the default by resetting your network settings again.

6. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

I got the speed up to 1050, but the picture is still very ugly. I wonder if this is best I can get? There is such a vast difference between the phone and the iPad. I wonder if others have had this problem.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a fairly common problem. Test it again tonight and see if it's gotten any better than that.

8. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

Thanks Europa, You've been most helpful . . .