Network without a SIM card

Oscarb

Apr 25, 2009
I recently encountered a problem with my sim card reader, I won't go into details but I don't think it can be repaired without spending some hardcore cash.

So I was wondering if there was a way of actually having the sim's details injected into the phone, as if it were being read but there is no physical sim inside?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, happy to answer any questions if I'm not very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Are you referring to having sim- contacts on the phone instead of being read of the sim?

If not then i think your probably referring to having something like a built in sim card.... I don't think this could be done. Google is probably your best bet. But i think your going to be looking for a needle in a haystack especially with the iPhone.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I doubt this is possible. GSM phones are built to read network and connection data off of a physical SIM card to "tell" the cellular radio what to do. Unless they are specifically built to work without a SIM card (and I don't know of any GSM phones like this), the cellular radio won't know what to do without a SIM card.

You'll need to get it fixed if it's no longer unable to read the SIM card and you need to use it as a cell phone and not just a WiFi device. You could just sell your current phone as-is on eBay or something and then use the sale proceeds to just buy a new one if you'd rather not bother...

Oscarb

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for the feedback peeps

I see my query is unlikely to be possible :(

So how much do you reckon an iPhone without the use of network (but everything else in good order) would go for on ebay? Baring in mind it's second hand too and in relatively ok condition

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Thanks for the feedback peeps

I see my query is unlikely to be possible :(

So how much do you reckon an iPhone without the use of network (but everything else in good order) would go for on ebay? Baring in mind it's second hand too and in relatively ok condition
You're welcome. :)

Is it a 3G iPhone? 8GB or 16GB? What's the condition? If it's a 3G 16GB in very good condition otherwise, I'd bet you could still get up to $200 or even more for it as it is. I've heard of broken first-generation iPhones going for around $100 or $150, so it should be do-able.

Oscarb

Apr 25, 2009
Oh yeah my bad for the lack of details :sick:

Is practically the worst kind of iPhone, is an 8gb 2g. Is jailbroken & unlocked tho with latest firmware if that counts for anything. If it's worth more not tampered with that can be arranged.

Oscarb

Apr 25, 2009
Whatdyou reckon macgirl? Or anyone that could put a price on this would be great. Effectively it's just an iPod touch now if you think about it because all works except the signal. 8gb 2g. :)

Oscarb

Apr 25, 2009
Can someone please give me a figure ?

Just a rough cost of how much it's worth, all details are provide in the 2 previous posts by me :)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I see broken first-generation 8GB iPhones going on eBay for around $150. If you have everything that goes with it (the box, headphones, etc.) you might get a little more for it...