Networking hard drive.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I'm looking to get a new external harddrive. I have a WD portable that I store media on and another WD portable that I do Time Machine on. Well the other day I dropped my media drive and now it's been damaged and is "read-only". And my time machine harddrive has a lose plug or cable that sometimes improperly ejects.

The question is what direction should I go time capsule or is there another brand that someone recommends? I want to be able to back up 2 MacBooks and have wireless access to the files on my PS3 or 360.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Networking? I'm confused, do you want a HD that will appear on your network; visible to all computers on said network?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
You should be able to share the drive on your network without any problems. I just got a new net gear router that has a USB port to hook up a shared drive too. So that could be another option for you.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That's one thing I wish my router had :(

I use my servers HD as a network drive for FTP/smb etc. Does the job but it'd still be nice to have a true network drive.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I've used a NAS at home for years. Get centralized/RAID peace of mind without running 400+ Watts 24/7. :)

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes. My husband currently doesn't backup so I'm trying to find the easiest way for us to both do that
Well first make sure the NAS is Time Machine compatible.

While you can store other data on a TM drive I wouldn't do it. I would rather decide how much to allocate to TM and create a partition of that size dedicated to TM. You can make more than one if using more than one mac.

Michael

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Well first make sure the NAS is Time Machine compatible.

While you can store other data on a TM drive I wouldn't do it. I would rather decide how much to allocate to TM and create a partition of that size dedicated to TM. You can make more than one if using more than one mac.

Michael
What's NAS? so the thing about the Time Capsule is it doubles as router?

t65g

Feb 27, 2012
MA
I recently purchased a MacBook, and have an existing PC, router and WD Network HDD. I cannot see this Network drive on the Mac? I loaded VMWare and Windows, and can see the drive through Windows. How can I use this directly from the Mac, or do I need to get a separate drive that is Mac specific?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I recently purchased a MacBook, and have an existing PC, router and WD Network HDD. I cannot see this Network drive on the Mac? I loaded VMWare and Windows, and can see the drive through Windows. How can I use this directly from the Mac, or do I need to get a separate drive that is Mac specific?
Been a while since I've used a Mac but I think you have to have Windows Shares or Samba Shares support enabled. I think it's in SYSTEM | PREFERENCES | NETWORKING. Someone with a Mac please correct me.