Networking/router question

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Not sure which topic this belongs in, so I'll start here. I'm looking for software I can use to limit internet activity on the other PCs on my network. I searched google and actually didn't come up with anything. Maybe I used the wrong search string. I dunno. My Belkin router had some rudimentary software to limit access, but I use an Airport Extreme now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My kids and stepkids can be sneaky at times!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
How do you want to limit activity? By times of day? By user? By types of site that can be visited?

There are lots of tools out there that are PC-based, and some things you can do on a router. Give a little more detail on what you're after and folks will have good suggestions hopefully ...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
How do you want to limit activity? By times of day? By user? By types of site that can be visited?

There are lots of tools out there that are PC-based, and some things you can do on a router. Give a little more detail on what you're after and folks will have good suggestions hopefully ...
Hi Patrick. I have several computers on my network wirelessly, and I would like to set times for each to limit their connection to the network/internet.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Honda - I've never used an Airport Extreme but it looks like you can limit access by time:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=AirportUtility/5.1/en/ap2046.html

If that doesn't work well for you, there are plenty of desktop security type apps that could be used (Norton, Trend Micro etc.) but that would be more of a PITA solution as it would probably require a bit of config on each PC - not sure on that though, maybe you can set one as the console in effect, install on all PCs and manage from one ...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Honda - I've never used an Airport Extreme but it looks like you can limit access by time:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=AirportUtility/5.1/en/ap2046.html

If that doesn't work well for you, there are plenty of desktop security type apps that could be used (Norton, Trend Micro etc.) but that would be more of a PITA solution as it would probably require a bit of config on each PC - not sure on that though, maybe you can set one as the console in effect, install on all PCs and manage from one ...
Thanks, I'll check it out as soon as I get the chance!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think a lot of routers have some sort of provisions for scheduling services for attached devices. I see a page related to this in my cheapy (but good!) Netgear router setup, but have never messed with it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think a lot of routers have some sort of provisions for scheduling services for attached devices. I see a page related to this in my cheapy (but good!) Netgear router setup, but have never messed with it.
Just for practice for when you have youngins, try out cutting the wife off after 6:00pm :laugh2:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If Psylicon is anything like me, then he likes living.
Good point. My lovely spouse comes close to kicking my arse every time her iPhone (my old Gen 1) fecks up in any way at all.

And I'll tell you what - the use of the phrase "I don't either" just after she has said "I don't know why it's doing this" (out of the blue) with no explanation of what 'this' is, is ... *not* recommended :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Good point. My lovely spouse comes close to kicking my arse every time her iPhone (my old Gen 1) fecks up in any way at all.

And I'll tell you what - the use of the phrase "I don't either" just after she has said "I don't know why it's doing this" (out of the blue) with no explanation of what 'this' is, is ... *not* recommended :)
Well, we love them, otherwise we wouldn't marry them.

Though it does remind me of a joke....

This guy is in line to buy train tickets and noticed that the woman working the window had quite the figure on her. Eye-popping almost.
He's so distracted that when he gets to the window, he says, "two pickets to Titsburg please". He is immediately mortified but what he said and begins studdering his apology to her.
The next man in line says, " I couldn't help but hear your little blunder there. don't worry about it. It happens to the best of us. Why just the other morning, I swear what I meant to say to my wife was, "Honey, could you please past the Post Toasties', but what came out of my mouth was '*****, you ruined my life!"