Never had so much trouble J/B'ing!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've jailbreaked practically since iDay with never a hitch, now I'm ready to smash my pc and my mac with my face like my avatar! I upgraded to 1.1.4, j/b'd with ziPhone, had constant crashes and freezes. Restored and j/b'd with independence on the mac. Went ok at first...had to manually install Installer, and it wouldn't update itself (kept getting that main script error), couldnt install BSD subsystem for same reason, installed one or two apps and then the phone would lock up all the time. Now I can't use winscp cause it can't find any directories on the iPhone! I can log onto it, but it cant see any directories. So now i've restored again. Any advice before I try to re-jailbreak?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
lmao... I can just picture you at your computer smashing your face in... lol... I think its safe to say everyone that Apple is making it harder to jailbreak

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Are you using the ziPhone wrapper program at mmi.com, or are you opening terminal and trying to do it that way? If you are, try the wrapper program - much easier!

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Could all those jbs have something to do with it?
I jb for the first time yesterday with ziPhone and it took maybe a minute.

I went back to stock until I don't have to bust a$$ to get summerboard to work though.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Are you using the ziPhone wrapper program at mmi.com, or are you opening terminal and trying to do it that way? If you are, try the wrapper program - much easier!
Yes, I used the ziPhone 'wrapper' program. It was very fast and easy.

Could all those jbs have something to do with it?
I jb for the first time yesterday with ziPhone and it took maybe a minute.

I went back to stock until I don't have to bust a$$ to get summerboard to work though.
After each jailbreak, I've restored and started with a clean phone, so no all those j/b's have nothing to do with it.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Hey bro, I am in the same boat as you...(well almost)

It took me 5...yes 5 tries to get my phone to successfuly update to 1.1.4. If I can even say "successfuly" because now I am stuck on 1.1.4, jailbroken, but installer keeps crashing, and my MAIL app no longer works, just attempts to load and then goes back to the springboard!

ZiPhone is a great app, don't get me wrong, using that to jailbreak was the easiest and quickest process out of everything.

Now i'm going to try to restore again, for the 6th time and see if I can get the mail app to work without jailbreaking.

Mood: EXTREMELY pissed off!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
try downgrading to 1.1.3 first. It's will fail right at the end.
Put the phone in DFU mode and then go back to 1.1.4. Everything should install correctly after that.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've jailbreaked practically since iDay with never a hitch, now I'm ready to smash my pc and my mac with my face like my avatar! I upgraded to 1.1.4, j/b'd with ziPhone, had constant crashes and freezes. Restored and j/b'd with independence on the mac. Went ok at first...had to manually install Installer, and it wouldn't update itself (kept getting that main script error), couldnt install BSD subsystem for same reason, installed one or two apps and then the phone would lock up all the time. Now I can't use winscp cause it can't find any directories on the iPhone! I can log onto it, but it cant see any directories. So now i've restored again. Any advice before I try to re-jailbreak?
Hey Hondamaker, I'm sorry to hear you're running into so many problems. One thing to really consider here is that each time you JB your phone and are asked if you would like to restore your settings, that there may be the possibility you're reloading files that the 1.1.4 jailbreak doesn't agree with. The most common of these problems is people not being able to access their mail.app correctly to others losing their permissions to save camera photos.

I've run into this problem myself with two phones now, both on 1.1.3 however. To get around this I had to set up my phone as "New" which isn't as daunting as it sounds. I'm not signing up to extend my contract or anything else that might be misconstrued with the term "new", rather, I'm just setting up a new partnership with my phone and iTunes.

Once I told iTunes I watned to set up my account as new, I just click the Info tab in iTunes and check in all the data I want to restore, like my contacts, calendar etc.

Since doing that in 1.1.3 I've not had any problems with the upgrade to 1.1.4 and JBing. I have a strong suspicion its because I'm not running on backups that migrated from the 1.1.2 jailbreak under a different username to the new "mobile" user under 1.1.3 and then to 1.1.4. Instead my user profile was created on 1.1.3's new "mobile" user and thusly the migration to 1.1.4 has been working as intended.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No no no! The name of your avatar is angry PC user!

- John

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yes, I used the ziPhone 'wrapper' program. It was very fast and easy.
After each jailbreak, I've restored and started with a clean phone, so no all those j/b's have nothing to do with it.
I've also been jailbreaking since it was possible to do so, but I had no trouble restoring to and jailbreaking 1.1.4 using ZiPhone 2.5 on Leopard.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
No no no! The name of your avatar is angry PC user!

- John
I know, but I used iNdependence and ziPhone on the mac!

I've run into this problem myself with two phones now, both on 1.1.3 however. To get around this I had to set up my phone as "New" which isn't as daunting as it sounds. I'm not signing up to extend my contract or anything else that might be misconstrued with the term "new", rather, I'm just setting up a new partnership with my phone and iTunes.

Once I told iTunes I watned to set up my account as new, I just click the Info tab in iTunes and check in all the data I want to restore, like my contacts, calendar etc.
I asked about that in the iTunes thread. I was wanting to try it, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep my contacts and ical stuff.

ey bro, I am in the same boat as you...(well almost)

It took me 5...yes 5 tries to get my phone to successfuly update to 1.1.4. If I can even say "successfuly" because now I am stuck on 1.1.4, jailbroken, but installer keeps crashing, and my MAIL app no longer works, just attempts to load and then goes back to the springboard!

ZiPhone is a great app, don't get me wrong, using that to jailbreak was the easiest and quickest process out of everything.

Now i'm going to try to restore again, for the 6th time and see if I can get the mail app to work without jailbreaking.

Mood: EXTREMELY pissed off!
I've restored probably 5 or 6 times myself. I just did it again and jailbreaked using ziPhone. I updated installer, and am afraid to install any apps! That when the trouble started last time I used ziPhone.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I hope things go (much) better for you now. I'd agree with x999x - going with a fresh new partnership with iTunes during these processes seems to give better results ...
Alright, I had it jailbroken, working fine, then decided to look for summerboard (one of the main reasons I like to j/b). Found out if I install a patch first, I can then install SB, so I did. Locked up bigger than sh**. Tried everything to get it work well enough that I could uninstall SB and the patch, but to no avail. I'm now drinking beer and treating my iPhone a little more roughly than usual. I'm going to do a restore, then go with that 'fresh new partnership with iTunes' and set it up as a new phone. If that fails, then it's the blender.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Alright, I had it jailbroken, working fine, then decided to look for summerboard (one of the main reasons I like to j/b). Found out if I install a patch first, I can then install SB, so I did. Locked up bigger than sh**. Tried everything to get it work well enough that I could uninstall SB and the patch, but to no avail. I'm now drinking beer and treating my iPhone a little more roughly than usual. I'm going to do a restore, then go with that 'fresh new partnership with iTunes' and set it up as a new phone. If that fails, then it's the blender.
Beer = good call. And good reminder, I may need one of those. For Summerboard, I used x999x's tweak from his Fight Club source - quick install prior to running the Summerboard install, uninstalled afterwards (this was all at like 3:30am last night due largely to me being a dumb-ass on first JB attempt last night) - and it worked a treat and Summerboard, apps, standard iPhone apps etc. are all good.

Really hope the beer is the turning point here, and things go better. Oh, and if you see three of something in Installer after a few more, tap the middle one :laugh2:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Beer = good call. And good reminder, I may need one of those. For Summerboard, I used x999x's tweak from his Fight Club source - quick install prior to running the Summerboard install, uninstalled afterwards (this was all at like 3:30am last night due largely to me being a dumb-ass on first JB attempt last night) - and it worked a treat and Summerboard, apps, standard iPhone apps etc. are all good.

Really hope the beer is the turning point here, and things go better. Oh, and if you see three of something in Installer after a few more, tap the middle one :laugh2:
x999x has a tweak in his source? I never saw one. What's it called?
Thanks for your encouragement, I'll drink one for ya!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
x999x has a tweak in his source? I never saw one. What's it called?
Thanks for your encouragement, I'll drink one for ya!
His tweak is called TWK: 1.1.3×4 Swap.

He may correct me if I'm wrong here, but it essentially renames a system file, replaces it with one that tells the system its firmware version is 1.1.3, so Summerboard (and similar apps with that same issue) will agree to install. It prompts and reminds you nicely to remove it immediately after getting your desired apps on, so system goes back to reporting correct firmware version ...

Oh, and I'll drink to your success this time 'round ...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
His tweak is called TWK: 1.1.3×4 Swap.

He may correct me if I'm wrong here, but it essentially renames a system file, replaces it with one that tells the system its firmware version is 1.1.3, so Summerboard (and similar apps with that same issue) will agree to install. It prompts and reminds you nicely to remove it immediately after getting your desired apps on, so system goes back to reporting correct firmware version ...

Oh, and I'll drink to your success this time 'round ...
Yep, that'd be it, lol. I just clicked the source link and browsed down to the install strings. I noticed I misspelled Install in the Notice that pops up. I have Intall, lol. Ah well, I'll sort that out after dinner, I think people will still get the point ;)

Good luck Hondamaker, I think that new partnership sort things out proper.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Got it taken care of! x999x, you may have saved my ass on this one! So far so good, beer tastes even better now...
Haha, good to hear!

I had to do some dance classes with the lady (for our wedding dance) and let me tell ya, I'm ready for my beers too!

When the words get fuzzy, I'm done.