New 2008 Calif Cellphone LAWS

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I just read this online this morning in regards to cellphone use in the cars. I am going to send this to Steve Jobs, he needs to get the voice calling capabilities completed by July!

Hands-Free In July: Later in the year, a state law goes into effect prohibiting drivers from using cell phones and other mobile devices, unless they are equipped with a hands-free speaking and listening system.

No Cellies Under 18: That goes into effect on July 1. And at the same time, drivers under the age of 18 will not be allowed to use a wireless telephone or other mobile service device, even if it's hands-free, while operating a vehicle.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Not that it will do much good, but this could be a good thing. I Don't know how many times I've almost gotten hit by some idiot who was paying more attention to their phone than the road.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Not that it will do much good, but this could be a good thing. I Don't know how many times I've almost gotten hit by some idiot who was paying more attention to their phone than the road.

Yeah, ever sit at a left turn light and watch all the cars go by and about 7 out of 10 are on the phone (mostly women) I said it but don't hurt me.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm glad about the first law. Not entirely sure about the second one.
Here in ATL, if you are on the highway, and the person in front of you is generally moving slower than the traffic around them, and cannot maintain a constant speed in general, it's almost a guarantee that it's some idiot with a cell pressed to their head. It's not even gender specific. Both men and women are horrible with a cell to their ear.
I use my BT headset 90% of the time, and the other 9% I use the headset that came with the phone. The last 1% is me actually answering the phone and telling whomever that I will call them later.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
As great as it would be to have voice dialing, the law in California does not require that. Just that you have both a microphone (speaking) and speaker (listening system) to use it. Using the stock headset that came with the phone (yukk) meets the legal requirements in July.
As tyoung said, it wont do much good because people that are easily distracted by the calls will still be just as distracted talking about businesss and the weather over the speakers as they would be holding the phone. Maybe they should set a 10 second call limiter. "Yes Honey, I will bring home milk" Beep.... "Bob, about that presentation that I said you needed to have on my desk by" Beep.......

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
They have had this law in NJ/NYC for a while now (not the under 18 law though).

I like it, infact I don't know how people drive without a headset, I HATE it. I don't even like talking on my phone in my house without the headset.

I guess I am just anti holding the phone lol.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
We've had these for a while now. You can get 3 points and a fixed penalty as well for smoking or eating an Apple.

Personally I like it - on a long journey I take my sim-card out of the iPhone and plug it into the sim-tray in the car handsfree system. Friends and family know if I don't answer my phone then I'm driving and they call the other number.

It won't be long before driving is illegal.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
We've had these for a while now. You can get 3 points and a fixed penalty as well for smoking or eating an Apple.

Personally I like it - on a long journey I take my sim-card out of the iPhone and plug it into the sim-tray in the car handsfree system. Friends and family know if I don't answer my phone then I'm driving and they call the other number.

It won't be long before driving is illegal.

In terms of smoking that went into law on the 1st also. You can not smoke in the car with anyone under the age of 17, $100 fine. I don't smoke, I just drink.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
In terms of smoking that went into law on the 1st also. You can not smoke in the car with anyone under the age of 17, $100 fine. I don't smoke, I just drink.
What state is that in? We have laws in the town surrounding Phoenix that prohibit smoking in public places even on sidewalks away from businessses so in those towns the only place you can smoke is in your house or car.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Interesting, however, I think that the snopes report was on a similar type of list and not an actual one. The news websites in California are all reporting these new restrictions so don't you think they would check their sources before posting it?

http://www.nbc11.com/news/14932881/detail.html
http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7822059
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/12/27/state/n114915S98.DTL

And it was also on the TV with all the laws.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
One thing about the cellphone while driving laws to keep in mind is that at least one study found it doesn't make much difference: it was the conversation that was distracting, not so much the equipment (aside from making calls with the dialpad, which many laws do not even address).

So I'm not sure I like these laws (though to be frank I am not fond of nanny laws in general--there are already laws against weaving, erratic driving, etc.--if someone is doing that cite them for it).

Finally, as a motorcyclist I often look for the "cellphone on ear" when riding. It's a good indication to stay away from that vehicle. But with everyone using hands free kits, or hard to see ear pieces, it might be harder to tell if someone is on the phone (though it's often obvious by the driving style too).

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I believe you - this happened last summer too. It was on all the TV news stations, they all covered it. And now... still no law.

That's also why I called the PD. If you don't believe me, that's fine. I'm for everyone using handsfree. Whether it becomes "law" or not, if it makes people become safer drivers, that's great! :cool:

But I'm still sticking by the "it's not becoming a law". We had this circulate in Florida for 3 or 4 years in a row.

I believe you, I'm just a messenger...don't kill me. LOL

H

Hayesimus

While I realize some people need this, I don't agree with it. I for one can text and drive and not lose any focus on the road. I'm highly adept at multitasking. I thereforee find it insulting that I'm to be treated like a child because the world is full of idiots. How about they spend more time focusing on coming up with practical applications for the automated car so that then we won't have to worry about it. I'm not gonna use a handsfree kit because I don't want anyone else in the car to listen to my conversation and i don't like the earpieces because i've not found one that i thought was comfortable enough to wear. just my opinion.

H

Hayesimus

also, if they are gonna make this a law then it should be mandatory for auto makers to have handsfree units built into every vehicle they make free of charge. like seatbelts and airbags, safety features should be required at no extra expense to the consumer. imho

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
While I realize some people need this, I don't agree with it. I for one can text and drive and not lose any focus on the road. I'm highly adept at multitasking. I thereforee find it insulting that I'm to be treated like a child because the world is full of idiots. How about they spend more time focusing on coming up with practical applications for the automated car so that then we won't have to worry about it. I'm not gonna use a handsfree kit because I don't want anyone else in the car to listen to my conversation and i don't like the earpieces because i've not found one that i thought was comfortable enough to wear. just my opinion.

I'd like to see you do that going down the 5 or the 405 going 70mph. First off it is impossible to text on an iPhone while the car is moving even at 25mph your finger is all over the place.