New 2015 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iksn, Nov 19, 2015.

1. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

So I have the new super thin MacBook and really do love it. I only have 2 issues with it and am only addressing 1 of them now. If I plug the power cord into a surge protector (2 of which I have tried), you have to touch the body of the computer to properly ground it and have the cursor respond properly. If I bypass the surge protector and just plug it into the wall socket, it is grounded fine.
    Anybody have any comments?

2. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

So....don't everybody speak at once, I can't take it when everyone is yelling at the same time............

3. Anthony Carver

Bronze

Congratulations dude, I wish I could also afford one.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm holding hope that the MacBook Air will be upgraded with a Retina display. The MacBook is not good for my intended use

5. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Sounds like a reason to exchange the MacBook, or at the very least have Apple take a look at it. I've never heard of that before.

6. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I've been hanging onto my 2011 MacBook Air waiting for the Skylake update. But now I hear talk of the 15" MBA I've been asking for, so I'm gonna wait a little longer.

7. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

Actually, if you research on his like I did, you will find this problem is common among all Mac laptops. MacBook pros and Mac air. I just can't find any resolution.

8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

There are three MacBook Pros in the house and one MacBook Air. None of have anything like this, nor do any of the people I know that have Mac laptops.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It could be a problem with the wiring in the room. Have you tried testing this on a different wall outlet with the same surge protector? If it still occurs there, try it at a different house and also with a new, good quality surge protector. I've never had this problem with a MacBook or any other electronics.

10. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

So it was the three prong extension to the power cord. I thought it was connected properly but it wasn't. It also had to do with how it was plugged into the surge protector. My bad, I'm just surprised at the amount of others that have had similar problems with the Macbook Pro and Air.

11. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I have been in the market or a laptop and I am really undecided on which one I should go for. I have had two MacBook Pro laptops, an early 2008 and mid 2010 one, both of which have had their fair share of costly problems, but I'm over that by now. My issue is with the slow performance of the mid-2010 MacBook Pro even though it has a Core i5 processor and 4GB of RAM.

I recently landed a new job where I need to use Microsoft Office applications simultaneously (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) along with Google Chrome and many tabs opened. Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro does not handle all of those well and it takes a long time to close and open apps, switch among them, etc. which is why I am afraid the Retina MacBook is going to have similar (or even worse) performance with a 1.1 GHz Intel Core M processor?

My budget allows me to buy the highest-specs MacBook Air, retina MacBook (only 1.1 GHz are available in Egypt, though), or a mid-range 13" - 15" rMBP. When it comes to appearance and looks, I'm definitely leaning towards the rMB because it looks and feels new compared to my 2010 unibody MacBook Pro, and I am not leaning towards the Air because it doesn't feature a retina display.

What do you guys think? Should I hold out for a new generation MacBook Air, for example? I'd like to know if there's a timeline or certain announcement date for it, or even if it is even confirmed yet.

Even though I've been a Mac guy for a long time now, I have been contemplating the transition to Windows laptops, and I'm leaning towards two brands: Dell XPS (preferably the new 13) and Dell Alienware (M13X, M14X, or 15 R2).

Appreciate your input, guys.

12. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Your choice of computer depends on what you value higher: Performance or Portability.

If you value Portability, then the MacBook wins, hands down. The 12" retina screen is great, and the portability of the MacBook is incredible. In exchange for Portability, you get a computer with a single USB Type C port, which can be used for expansion or charging. But it also means you'll need to buy an $80 dongle that will allow you to plug multiple devices into the port simultaneously. Also, for the sake of Portability, the CPU is slower, so the overall performance of the computer is slower.

If you value Performance, then a MacBook Pro is your choice. It has a Retina display, but has much faster processing, and graphics.

The MacBook Air is straddling between the two. It has more Performance than a MacBook, but less than the MacBook Pro. The MBA is also heavier and larger than the MacBook, but smaller than a MacBook Pro. Finally, MBA does not have a Retina display available.

When I looked at the MacBook, I really liked the higher end unit, until I saw the $1599 price. For that money I can get a MacBook Pro, which also has a Retina display, same RAM and SSD, but had much better Performance.

I think the 13" MacBook Pro, with 8GB 256GB SSD and Retina display, is the best option out there right now, for that price point.

-rb