New 3X Resolution on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, May 14, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple is reportedly testing an iPhone 6 with a resolution of 1704 x 960 says 9to5Mac. The move would mean an insane 416 ppi for the 4.7-inch model and impressive 356 ppi on the 5.5-inch iPhone 6. According to Apple, any display with a pixel density over 300 ppi is considered a retina display.

I'm thinking there are diminishing returns when you start to see such high numbers. This might be done to accommodate the larger iPhone and make it so it's not too difficult for developers to support the new resolution.

Thoughts?

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I just don't understand why they just can't go with full HD 1080p? Maybe because or battery life or would it put a strain on the SoC? I would think it would be easier for devs to create apps for one resolution across multiple iPhone displays.

3. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I think that Apple needs to retain the pixel density ratios that are already established in order to maintain compatibility with existing phones. That's how they maintained compatibility between retina and non-retina displays. Making the screen 3x the base pixel density will allow app developers to continue to write apps that are compatible with existing displays. They just need to add support for 3x pixel density in the app to support new larger screens.

Definitely an advantage over Android devices and their widely varying screen sizes and pixel densities.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It would put a strain on battery life, but only because Apple insists on having an ultra-thin battery so that the phone can be 0.5mm thinner.

I understand Apple's wanting to make it easier for devs by sticking to multiples of the existing resolution, but I think 1920 x 1080 is way overdue on the iPhone. If we have to watch a movie from iTunes that Apple stores on its servers at 1920 x 1080 on an iPhone that only offers 1704 x 960, then wouldn't the calculations involved in the constant resolution downscaling for the duration of the movie tax the battery more than simply presenting the video at the at the native 1920 x 1080 resolution of the movie's video file? Then again, what do I know, maybe the 64-bit A8 which will be even faster than the A7 won't even notice it's doing that extra work...

5. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I think that if you stream the movie to a TV via Apple TV it will show it at full resolution. On a phone it won't.