New 6S replacement prob. mail goes to POP not inbox?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Flyingstar, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Got my new 6S set it up as new phone then did a sync to get all my "stuff" back worked fine but now all my email goes to POP instead of my inbox????

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Could you clarify this a little? POP is a protocol for retrieving e-mail from a server, not a destination. Or are you saying you have a mailbox named POP?

Furthermore, even though I'm unclear as to your problem, I would recommend going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, logging out of your e-mail, and logging back in.

3. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Under "mail" I have a number of headings: Inbox, saved, trash, etc. one of theses headings is marked POP. every time I get an email (since I got my replacement 6S) my new emails go to POP not my inbox. Also I went to Mail, Contacts, Calendars but I could not find a place to "log off" ??

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is it an iCloud account? If so, tap on "iCloud" under the header "ACCOUNTS" (near the top of that settings screen I mentioned). Scroll all the way down and then tap on "Sign Out."

Is it an account other than iCloud? If so, tap on the account name under the header "ACCOUNTS", then scroll all the way down and then tap on "Delete Account."

After doing that, tap on "Add Account" and re-enter the credentials for the account you've just deleted.

5. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

If I do that it says all photos etc. will be removed from My I phone??

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So it looks like you're using iCloud Photo Library. I don't use it, therefore, I cannot answer that.

I would *guess* that they return to your iPhone when you log back in to your iCloud account, but I cannot guarantee this, so I think we should wait until someone who uses iCloud Photo Library sees this thread and can take it from here.

Update: It looks like I may be right about the photos returning to your iPhone. Check out this thread on the Apple Support Communities: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6561865?start=0&tstart=0

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Couldn't you just turn iCloud Photo Library off? The photos would still be on the phone. Delete the account, then add it back. Then turn iCloud Photo Library back on.?? I don't use iCloud Photo Library either!

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's referring to the photos that aren't stored in the camera roll on your 6s. They will sync back on after you reenable it.

9. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

I am not using I cloud. I have deleated and reinstalled my MSN mail account 4 times! the problem persists, Some times the emails go to my inbox and sometimes they go to the "POP" folder??

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Go to your MSN settings on a computer and switch from POP to IMAP then delete the account on your iPhone and add it back in.

11. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

My server (MSN) IS a pop server. I looked and could find no place to switch to IMAP???

12. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

I don't see anyplace to "log out" of my email???

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I addressed this already: See this post.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here are directions for switching to IMAP.

You definitely need to get rid of POP. It's not a good way to handle email anymore since nearly everyone has more than one device these days (at least one computer and one phone). Simply logging out isn't going to help you. Switch to IMAP first and then delete the account on your phone and add it back in.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Not that anyone needs it, but I can confirm that POP sucks. Hard. My Verizon email is a nightmare compared to both iCloud and Gmail. If you cannot enable IMAP (you can't with Verizon) you should strongly consider switching to some other provider for your mail like Gmail or iCloud. Switching is always a hassle but to get IMAP its well worth it.

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'm retired so I don't have any employer email requiring IMAP. I can get my email from any of three devices and four different computers. I have POP email with five different addresses through three different providers and have all my devices and computers set to leave a copy of each email on the server. The only exception is my PC at home, when it fetches an email from any address it also removes it from the server. That allows me to view my email on any device and still have it all in one location. If I respond to an email on any device other than my home PC I BCC a copy of the response to myself so that is on my home PC as well. It works for me without any problems and has for several years.