New ads on this website ruin browsing experience

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
This is directed at Chris who maintains this site. I am creating this thread to see if others are having similar results.

I had not been on everythingiPhone.com on my iPhone for a while...a few hours ago i went to the site and started looking at threads.... I noticed pages taking substantially longer to load and function properly...the culprit are these new ads...i understand the need to produce some income but the new ads really are aggrevating. Look at google, when i use google products on my iPhone namely search, there are zero advertisements, why not employ this method?

Any others feel this way?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Thats a solution to the majority of the posters here. Flash would not load on the phone. But then what's the point of the advertising? If you want this site to prosper you will have to deal with more and more advertising as the site becomes more and more popular.:(

Last edited by a moderator:

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Maintaining this site can't be cheap, let the man earn a buck.

Like I said, just take them off for iPhone viewers, Google does this and it works great. I am willing to bet that most visitors are viewing from a PC or Mac and are curious but do not yet own an iPhone, so he could still get some money from the site.

And no this was on very fast wifi, after this I don't think I would even bother using the site on edge.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This site has remained ad-free for quite some time and unfortunately I must introduce some type of advertising. The amount and design still pales in comparison to other forums. My goal was to create ads that didn't overwhelm the interface (which is contrary to what most ads do):p. I've also removed a few banners from the left hand navigation, so that you're seeing less, keeping the focus on the content.

The EIP server is top of the line and I've even go as far as to license special software to further optimize the experience here at Everything iPhone. The ads should have absolutely zero effect on your experience here and load times. When selecting the server, absolutely no expense was spared.

Taking all of that into consideration, I do not want my iPhone users to experience slow load times (thanks EDGE). I'll work on this today and should have a resolution.

Thanks for your continued support and feedback.

-Chris

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
BTW, ads have been removed until I sort this out.
You can do this with a javascript 'screendoor' on the home page that detects the user is on an iPhone.

If browser = iPhone then hide iframe (iframe name with the adds)

I can write this for you if you want to try this approach.

Greg