New Aluminum MacBook Pics

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Okay here are some shots of my new MacBook with my iPhones & stuff. Custom modded a 2G iPhone dock to fit my 3G iPhone & iPhone bluetooth headset!

DSC00076.jpg

Like the black keys but the trackpad is a bit hard to click. Love the Multi-touch though.

DSC00079.jpg

Modded iPhone bluetooth dock

DSC00091.jpg

The 2G iPhone really matches the new Macbook perfect!
DSC00094.jpg
DSC00090.jpg

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Very nice setup. I really like the new MBs but I love my MBA. I saw them at the Apple store in Tampa last week and was impressed.

I am a bit doubtful of the trackpad as well though. Sure the friction of it is on par but I rather enjoy having a separate button and trackpad. If you want to use the trackpad as a button you can but you don't have to, otherwise the new MBs are perfect.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
You could turn on the tap to click feature... I agree the trackpad as a button takes a bit extra pressure

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I have to admit I'm not happy they went back to aluminum. I know, everybody thinks I'm nuts.

My powerbook is aluminum and it got bumped the first week I had it and was damaged. It was also in a very cushioned case when this happened. It's not like I dropped it or anything. To this day, it's damaged even though we tried to fix it and did as best we could.

Aluminum is just too soft and pliable. With the plastic, I felt like it could handle a bit more. Now, when I get my new macbook next summer, I'm gonna constantly worry again.

Again, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it is my personal opinion....so try not to be too tough on me. :p

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Very nice setup. I really like the new MBs but I love my MBA. I saw them at the Apple store in Tampa last week and was impressed.

I am a bit doubtful of the trackpad as well though. Sure the friction of it is on par but I rather enjoy having a separate button and trackpad. If you want to use the trackpad as a button you can but you don't have to, otherwise the new MBs are perfect.
It was a close call for me but I chose the macbook mostly because the of the ethernet plug and cd drive. Not sure I love the buttonless setup though, kinda miss my old macbooks clicker but as with anything maybe I just need to get used to it. Love the aluminum casing but wish it wasn't silver. It reminds me of the old iPhone and dated technology. Definitely not totally in love with the New Macbook like I was with the first macbook but it is much faster. Kinda considering trading it for a black macbook since I cant take back my white one I handed down to my folks. I don't know besides the appearance and a little more speed it feels like I have the same old Macbook. Maybe I should've gone with the air?

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
You could turn on the tap to click feature... I agree the trackpad as a button takes a bit extra pressure
Yah I have that switched on. Miss the tactile feedback though. Guess like with the iPhone I will miss the tactile feedback less and less each day.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't know besides the appearance and a little more speed it feels like I have the same old Macbook. Maybe I should've gone with the air?
i don't think that's a very good reason to switch to the Air.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Like I have said before, I absolutely love my MBA. Of course it is missing a few of the basics, like an optical drive, ethernet port and firewire (the new MB doesn't have that either of course) but with the USB counterparts of the optical drive and ethernet port I can do basically the same things as with a regular MB.

I still love the old Blackbooks and I am probably going to try and pick one up once enough people start making the switch to the new MBs. With that said, I really do like the aluminum casing on the MBA and the new MBs. It shows little wear and I have had mine since about March and certainly do not treat it gingerly. I keep it in my backpack with my books inside of an Incase sleeve and haven't noticed any dings or dents.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Like I have said before, I absolutely love my MBA. Of course it is missing a few of the basics, like an optical drive, ethernet port and firewire (the new MB doesn't have that either of course) but with the USB counterparts of the optical drive and ethernet port I can do basically the same things as with a regular MB.

I still love the old Blackbooks and I am probably going to try and pick one up once enough people start making the switch to the new MBs. With that said, I really do like the aluminum casing on the MBA and the new MBs. It shows little wear and I have had mine since about March and certainly do not treat it gingerly. I keep it in my backpack with my books inside of an Incase sleeve and haven't noticed any dings or dents.
Well what worries me about the air are situations like this...So you must use the usb port if you want to plug in etherenet(ethernet seems to be better for downloads etc.) What if I need to connect my iPhone to do a software update or something? I'll have to unplug the ethernet adapter from the usb port to use it for the iPhone and connect wirelessly to the internet. Or similar situations, I just think I might run into problems when I need to connect my iPhone via usb and I don't happen to have wifi, then I wont be able to access the internet at all. Or for example when unocking a iPhone you must have the iPhone connected to usb and it will search the net for the files you need, if you are not in a wifi area it is going to be impossible to connect because the ethernet/usb plug will be used by the iPhone. Just basically not being able to use ethernet and usb at the same time.Maybe there is a adapter that splits the usb into 2 ports so I can connect ethernet & my iPhone at the same time?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's called a USB hub, and they work pretty well for the most part.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
that's called a USB hub, and they work pretty well for the most part.
Damn. Well sounds like a whole lot of external adapters & devices I will need to use it the way I want. Good to know I have the option to do multiple usb ports.

Also a question I have is I heard someone mention that using the usb to ethernet adapter will give me slower data speeds since I'm using the usb port as opposed to an actual ethernet port. Any truth to this?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For the price and performance, I don't think you'll beat the new MacBooks. I haven't seen them in person yet, but from all the pictures they look amazing. Stopped by a local Best Buy last week, but they still had the old MacBooks on display. I haven't had the time to brave the Apple Store. It's always jam packed. I think people just go to hang out there.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I haven't had the time to brave the Apple Store. It's always jam packed. I think people just go to hang out there.
It has taken the place of the Mall. It is the new place to be seen.:p
Our Apple Store is always packed too. People like to go in and play with the toys.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Also a question I have is I heard someone mention that using the usb to ethernet adapter will give me slower data speeds since I'm using the usb port as opposed to an actual ethernet port. Any truth to this?
USB transfers at about 160 Mbps (give or take a bit depending on what you're doing). A blazing fast internet connection is about 30 Mbps. So the only reason you would need a faster network connection than 160 Mbps is if you are streaming a lot of HD media, or just sharing HUGE files over a local network.

that being said, most people's ethernet cables only transfer at 100Mbps (10/100). Unless you picked a router with gigabit ethernet ports (1000 Mbps). So, while they are technically correct about USB being slower than ethernet, for practical purposes, it won't matter.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well I had just figured we could use paypal :)
-I'd send money for the iPhone and stuff, an all you would do as the seller is ship it ya kno :cool:

But I understand if you prefer to deal locally ;)

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Well I had just figured we could use paypal :)
-I'd send money for the iPhone and stuff, an all you would do as the seller is ship it ya kno :cool:

But I understand if you prefer to deal locally ;)
Yah, plus I charge too much. Those are brand new.:laugh2: