New App: BeatPhone! Create Beats on the iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
It's live on installer, and is 2.9megs. Takes a bit of time over EDGE, but its worth it.

Create beats on your iPhone! Reminds me of the TR909 :)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It's live on installer, and is 2.9megs. Takes a bit of time over EDGE, but its worth it.

Create beats on your iPhone! Reminds me of the TR909 :)
I tried it but it kinda sucks in it present form. Doesn't support multi-touch, for instance.

I was hoping this was the app this guy is working on:
http://code.google.com/p/mpc500/

He says he wants to get multi-touch working right before he releases it publicly, but that was also two weeks ago.

Still, I hope it appears.

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just want my TRS909 and I'll be content.

BTW You get what you pay for with these FREE applications.

I don't get you lot, you're up in arms about there not being enough apps released since 1.1.1 and now that we get something new its simply not good enough, lol.

/hides

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
for all you people that were not impressed with beatphone it was just a proof of concept app what do you expect. they came out with the first update today so obviously over time it will get better

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
for all you people that were not impressed with beatphone it was just a proof of concept app what do you expect. they came out with the first update today so obviously over time it will get better

for the initial release its not very good...as for the update all that was changed was the UI....im not bashing the makers of this free app i just think if your gunna do something do it right...the guy with the MPC500 program isn't releasing it till he feels its ready and he has the same stuff this one has but he wants to be able to multi-touch...he could have released so many betas and updates but why lol its uncalled for

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
As a producer/DJ, I must say this is pretty cool to mess around with. Maybe I can use it as a sampler while DJing by replacing the samples with new ones. I wonder how large of an audio file it can handle. It would be pretty cool to trigger some samples from my iPhone. I might have to try this at my gig on Friday.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hopefully it gains the ability to Sequence and Save. Saving is the only feature missing from my DS beat maker so something similar on the iPhone would be awesome.

Lastly I still don't see whats so bad about this program, I mean look at where Sketches was when it first was released, and look at it now. Not saying we'll see the same kind of progress here, but just illustrating the before and after.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
There were two minor things about the Beatbox program that caused me to uninstall, first there is a significant delay between touch and sound. It may not seem so but try to play with a song and you will likely notice it.

Second, it seemed to mess up my volume control. Instead of one notch per press on my volume buttons I was getting half a notch per press. Not a major issue but when you've become used to the jump or decrease in volume from, say, two presses, it's a bit of an annoyance to have to double that for the same result.

agent0064life

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
This is true, it now looks like a Roland SP-303. Unfortunately the effects buttons and knobs aren't functional, but they do look nice!
You don't know how long I spent trying to mess with the knobs....

GIMME SOME DAMN KNOBS TO TURN

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
it just got an update and it looks better than the pic posted in this thread.
What update? I have not seen any updates for this app on Installer, since before my first post to this thread. I still have 0.2.4.

EDIT: I grabbed 0.2.5 from iBrickr. Before I say I like it I should note I spend an hour--yes an hour--with 0.2.4 last night. I found if I kept the beat a little slow it was pretty neat. Will try 0.2.5 now...

--
Mike

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
As a producer/DJ, I must say this is pretty cool to mess around with. Maybe I can use it as a sampler while DJing by replacing the samples with new ones. I wonder how large of an audio file it can handle. It would be pretty cool to trigger some samples from my iPhone. I might have to try this at my gig on Friday.
Yeah I'm a drum and bass dj - maybe I could turn my iPhone into a lickshot machine with this, LOL.