New App: JohnTool + Installer Updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
JohnTool is now available in the brand spankin' new installer.

Anyway, JohnTool solves the problem of SummerBoard turning off your network connections when it puts the phone to sleep.

Ever wonder why you only seem to get emails while you're using your phone, and realize that the time they were sent means you should have automatically retrieved them by now?

Well, this should solve that problem, lol.

Oh yeah, the latest SummerBoard is also available in the new Installer.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I get emails even when my phone is sleeping. I don't understand why JohnTool is needed
Because when I'm at work and the boss says "didn't you get my email?" I don't have to answer "No" and turn on my phone to sync it only to find that it was sent over an hour ago.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Because when I'm at work and the boss says "didn't you get my email?" I don't have to answer "No" and turn on my phone to sync it only to find that it was sent over an hour ago.
Try setting the mail refresh time to "15 Min". It will make your boss happier. :cool:

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
There should be a disclaimer that this will almost definitely kill your battery life. The way it works right now by default is..

WiFi is turned off when the iPhone is asleep except when plugged in to power
EDGE is always ON even when asleep but active connections are not kept open unless an app does so (chat clients use keep alive to do this) and I believe Yahoo Mail on iPhone does too (allows for push email)

In theory, using this JohnTool should have absolutely no effect except keep your WiFi on at all times (battery murderer) and keep an active EDGE connection at all times (another battery killer).

No thanks.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
There should be a disclaimer that this will almost definitely kill your battery life. The way it works right now by default is..

WiFi is turned off when the iPhone is asleep except when plugged in to power
EDGE is always ON even when asleep but active connections are not kept open unless an app does so (chat clients use keep alive to do this) and I believe Yahoo Mail on iPhone does too (allows for push email)

In theory, using this JohnTool should have absolutely no effect except keep your WiFi on at all times (battery murderer) and keep an active EDGE connection at all times (another battery killer).

No thanks.
I agree this isn't for everyone, but if there wasn't a need for it, it wouldn't have been developed and hosted on Installer I reckon.

Additionally, I do have my check mail settings at 15 minutes! They're coming through a full hour to two hours later, depending upon when i wake up my iPhone next :(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
JohnTool is now available in the brand spankin' new installer.

Anyway, JohnTool solves the problem of SummerBoard turning off your network connections when it puts the phone to sleep.

Ever wonder why you only seem to get emails while you're using your phone, and realize that the time they were sent means you should have automatically retrieved them by now?

Well, this should solve that problem, lol.

Oh yeah, the latest SummerBoard is also available in the new Installer.
Latest SummerBoard meaning it works on 1.1.1? I don't want to install it via SSH again.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I guess what I don't understand is this:
"...the problem of SummerBoard turning off your network connections when it puts the phone to sleep."

That seems to imply that Summerboard is doing something differently than a stock iPhone. I didn't know Summerboard had anything to do with turning off connections, or at least anything different than the stock springboard.

Anyone have any info on this?

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I guess what I don't understand is this:
"...the problem of SummerBoard turning off your network connections when it puts the phone to sleep."

That seems to imply that Summerboard is doing something differently than a stock iPhone. I didn't know Summerboard had anything to do with turning off connections, or at least anything different than the stock springboard.

Anyone have any info on this?

--
Mike
Check MMI's app launch forum, I think I recall some more discussion on this there.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Check MMI's app launch forum, I think I recall some more discussion on this there.
Didn't find anything there, aside from another thread about this app.

However, I read the article on TUAW and it seems the issue is not a problem with Summerboard. In fact the solution to the problem (still not sure what the problem is) is to install Summerboard and then, apparently, to use this app. Ergo, I don't think Summerboard causes the problem.

From TUAW:

"Yesterday, Scott forwarded me along a question from TUAW reader John Stuart. He wrote in asking about his cell signal. When put on sleep/hold, the signal fades out and he can't receive calls. His phone is unlocked and in the UK, and this signal loss appears to be a common fault."

As a temporary measure, John started playing back music on repeat, with the volume cut off. As you might imagine, this runs down the battery and prevents him from actually using the iPod features without having to do extra work.

TUAW to the rescue. After polling the developer community, ApolloIM developer Alex "Arminius" Schaefer came to the rescue. He remembered that SummerBoard supported a mode that would retain your signal even in sleep mode.

The hack works like this: You install SummerBoard (it is available via Installer.app) and then create a temporary file called SummerBoard.DisablePowerManagement. Once created, SummerBoard sees this file and keeps the signal from powering down."

Guess this common fault thing is news to me, as I have always received calls while in sleep mode.

But in reading the thread linked to in that article, most every post in it came from an unlocked iPhone user. And it seems to be related to receiving phone calls, not just EDGE. So if you are receiving phone calls when the iPhone is off, I would think you don't have the problem this app solves. Surely there would have been a huge outcry, even here at EiP, had most iPhones failed at receiving phone calls, yes?

Finally, it sure would be nice if there more effort put into documenting third party apps. Having to hunt through 4 Websites to find out why and what something does is starting to get old. :cool:

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
So then where is this temporary file which I would assume is being placed there by JohnTool actually going?

I just checked the SMBprefs folder and no dice.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So then where is this temporary file which I would assume is being placed there by JohnTool actually going?

I just checked the SMBprefs folder and no dice.
It creates this:
/tmp/SummerBoard.DisablePowerManagement

Let me know what's in it, as I don't have the app installed.

--
Mike

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Finally, it sure would be nice if there more effort put into documenting third party apps. Having to hunt through 4 Websites to find out why and what something does is starting to get old. :cool:

--
Mike
DEFINITELY. Either pick names that are NOT inside jokes, or take advantage of the "more info" section PLEASE. I realize beggars can't be choosers, but typing a little summary of an app is not that much extra work.

anyways, regarding Johntool specifically... is this app only for 1.1.1? I have installed it and tried to run it, but all it does is TRY to start and give me a little bell-soundbyte... then back to the summerboard. Is this normal for a 1.0.2 phone?

I use Gmail, and have been having the same email issues as x999x... i've had this app installed for a few days now, and have not noticed any change in my reception of emails.

by the way, i checked my /tmp/SummerBoard.DisablePowerManagement, and there doesn't seem to be anything in it... maybe it only works with 1.1.1 after all...