New App: Navizon - Software GPS

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've just installed this via installer and I have yet to try it out successfuly.

It's a software GPS that uses cell towers and known wifi hotspots to zero in on your location. Unfortunately it says I don't have any "known" cell towers near me to actually give this a go, but I'm sure I'll get it to going from the office at work.

This may be a nice compliment to the google map, i.e. find where you are, then head to the map widget.

Oh, you'll be asked to set up an account, but it's literally a username and password form, 2 fields and thats it :)

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Interesting. It took a while (30 sec) but it works with my WiFi at home. However, it doesn't work with Edge at home. It'll be interesting to see how well the Edge works when I am out and about.

Google Maps is opened once your location is found. I've been wondering why Apple didn't include something like this in the map app. It would solve the problem of getting instructions from your current, possibly unknown, location.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
Interesting. It took a while (30 sec) but it works with my WiFi at home. However, it doesn't work with Edge at home. It'll be interesting to see how well the Edge works when I am out and about.

Google Maps is opened once your location is found. I've been wondering why Apple didn't include something like this in the map app. It would solve the problem of getting instructions from your current, possibly unknown, location.
because that wouldn't make them money. most people could care less about GPS.

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
because that wouldn't make them money. most people could care less about GPS.
I'm not talking about GPS, but rather location based services. The difference is that location based services don't have to be as precise as GPS and it doesn't need to update on the fly since it wouldn't be used for navigation in the sense of TomTom and all that. There is a good revenue stream here. If I'm not wrong, the map Applet already shows businessses near by and provides phone numbers. Google and Apple could sell this advertising feature. This could also tie into the Starbucks Wi-Fi feature. Open the map Applet, it triangulates your position and shows you were the nearest iTunes enabled Starbucks is.

lwilliams

Jul 29, 2007
I've just installed this via installer and I have yet to try it out successfuly.

It's a software GPS that uses cell towers and known wifi hotspots to zero in on your location. Unfortunately it says I don't have any "known" cell towers near me to actually give this a go, but I'm sure I'll get it to going from the office at work.

This may be a nice compliment to the google map, i.e. find where you are, then head to the map widget.

Oh, you'll be asked to set up an account, but it's literally a username and password form, 2 fields and thats it :)
I have been to www.navizon.com..I don't see one for iPhone. Can you direct me to it.
Thanks