New App: Services - Turn WiFi/EDGE/BT On/Off

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The description pretty much says it all, but heres a screenshot anyway:

Now I can keep SSH installed and turn it on when I need it so it won't tax my battery life anymore :)

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
ok what am I doing wrong? I installed this app and it seems to work great for WiFi and bluetooth (I don't have SSH) but for Edge, it doesn't turn it off.
The selector button changes to off, but the "E" EDGE indicator doesn't turn off in the status bar and when you go back into Services, Edge is back on.

Any ideas?

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
ok what am I doing wrong? I installed this app and it seems to work great for WiFi and bluetooth (I don't have SSH) but for Edge, it doesn't turn it off.
The selector button changes to off, but the "E" EDGE indicator doesn't turn off in the status bar and when you go back into Services, Edge is back on.

Any ideas?
Try accessing a web page after turning it off ;)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Seems to work for me, it's just passing command line switches with a fancy gui, like -w to turn off my dag blasted SSH :)

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Tinman has mentioned that this app is still a little bit screwy on this forum.
Has anybody encountered the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Tinman has mentioned that this app is still a little bit screwy on this forum.
Has anybody encountered the same problem?
After further evaluation I still have the app loaded. Heck, just for Bluetooth it's nice to have, compared to how buried BT is within Settings without it.

But it's still a little risky--IMO--to allow this app access to the preference file that controls EDGE, but I will try to stay away from accidentally turning off EDGE (methinks there needs to be a confirmation of some sort before just doing it--I don't mind no confirmation for BT, WiFi, and SSH).

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Given the whole 1.1.1 debacle, I can see what it's easy to become concerned with the process of disabling EDGE with this application. My first thought was hoping I hadn't just screwed myself out of a future update after I saw the prompt warning me I had the wrong EDGE settings.

I was fortunate enough to be using 0.6.7 at the time, so after choosing my carrier I was back on edge without having to reboot. After that mini-heartattack I tried to deduce why I saw that screen in the first place, and I think it was for one very simple reason:

The application simply nulls your EDGE carrier definition, or perhaps changes it to a dummy value when it turns it off. Upon reenabling EDGE and changing the definition again, the program prompts you with a message that your settings are wrong, i.e. they aren't there or its a dummy value and you need to select your carrier for the correct settings. This is done to accommodate those users on different SIMs who have other data plans. Unfortunately the way guides you through this process is enough to make anyone squeamish. If it had done this by first logging your settings, or simply backing them up and then reinstating them silently we wouldn't be having this discussion :)

I too am keeping it installed, the whole SSH bit for me is too nice to ditch.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Can you explain all that in layman's terms? I'd like to know what SSH is too, but your link is a deep read!
Developed by SSH Communications Security Ltd., Secure Shell is a program to log into another compter over a network to execute commands in a remote machine, and to move files from one machine to another. It provides strong authentication nd secure communications over insecure channels. It is a replacement for rlogin, rsh, rcp, and rdist.

SSH protects a network from attacks such as IP spoofing, IP source routing, and DNS spoofing. An attacker who has managed to take over a network can only force ssh to disconnect. He or she cannot play back the traffic or hijack the connection when encryption is enabled.
When using ssh's slogin (instead of rlogin) the entire login session, including transmission of password, is encrypted; thereforee it is almost impossible for an outsider to collect passwords