New App: Swap Photo - Sync different albums

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
This isn't available on Installer yet, but you can grab it here in this forum post.

This allows you to sync different photo albums on your iPhone, similar to the app that swaps music libraries.

I'm looking forward to using this to sync a large cache of vacation photos to show to friends and family. I won't touch this account once its synced, and basically remove the photos from my drive since they're backed up on dvd. Then just use my "normal" photo sync for what I've been currently using it for, more lock screens :p This will allow my to sync my Lock screen folder without having to also sync my vacation album every time, or in this case since its deleted on the main computer I'd be asked to delete the existing photos on my iPhone in order to sync the new Lock screen folder.

Did that make any sense?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This isn't available on Installer yet, but you can grab it here in this forum post.

This allows you to sync different photo albums on your iPhone, similar to the app that swaps music libraries.

I'm looking forward to using this to sync a large cache of vacation photos to show to friends and family. I won't touch this account once its synced, and basically remove the photos from my drive since they're backed up on dvd. Then just use my "normal" photo sync for what I've been currently using it for, more lock screens :p This will allow my to sync my Lock screen folder without having to also sync my vacation album every time, or in this case since its deleted on the main computer I'd be asked to delete the existing photos on my iPhone in order to sync the new Lock screen folder.

Did that make any sense?
I've been using SwapTunes and SwapPhoto for awhile now, and they work great. Better yet they're essentially just bash scripts. I've used these apps to create other apps (like symlinking, and "unsymlinking," the Applications folder).

I use SwapPhoto a little differently than you... I sync most photos with my desktop PC. But for photos that I might not want seen by just anyone I use SwapPhoto to sync with my laptop. For example, I might not want my friends to see the romantic get-away photos. Or I might not want my mother-in-law to see the out with the guys photos.

I use SwapTunes with my laptop too. This time I only use it to download podcasts, TV shows, etc. with my laptop while on the road. I always delete this content when down viewing it.

I keep both apps hidden from the springboard and use Finder to launch them. This helps to prevent accidentally swapping photos/iTunes.

Oh yes, I've attached SwapPhoto here too.

--
Mike

Attachments

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the Ninja-Thanks in my Thread Tinman

/shakefist

So to go off topic even further, I've had a go with SwapTunes and haven't had any luck. I was asked if I wanted to restore my profile when I tried to sync after swapping out my present iTunes library. I didn't restore, I just ripped the phone off the dock and headed in to work.

Is this normal? I'm going to fiddle with it more when I get home, and with restores being sooper simple, I'm not worried about doing anything that would otherwise be nucking futs by 1.0.2 standards.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for the Ninja-Thanks in my Thread Tinman

/shakefist
LMAO! I am sorry, 999, I hope you know it wasn't intentional.

So to go off topic even further, I've had a go with SwapTunes and haven't had any luck. I was asked if I wanted to restore my profile when I tried to sync after swapping out my present iTunes library. I didn't restore, I just ripped the phone off the dock and headed in to work.

Is this normal? I'm going to fiddle with it more when I get home, and with restores being sooper simple, I'm not worried about doing anything that would otherwise be nucking futs by 1.0.2 standards.
Nah, that's not normal-- as long as you make sure to have the correct iTunes library loaded before syncing all should be fine.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
LMAO! I am sorry, 999, I hope you know it wasn't intentional.

Haha, I was just messin' with ya. I had one of those "OH NO HE DIDN'T" moments, lol.

Thanks for the Thanks!

So check this, I'm at home now and I've got some time to dig into this SwapTunes, and I'm still running into the same problem as before.

Step 1: SwapTunes, as in click the button and swap out my library
Step 2: Restart via SummerBoard
Step 3: Check iPod, yep, Sync with iTunes for Music & Video
Step 4: Dock with PC and Launch iTunes
Step 5: A phone has been previously synced on this machine. Restore 999?
Step 6: Undock, SwapTunes, SpringStart
Step 7: iTunes syncs existing Library just fine

I've checked my BIN directory and I have PS and MV, which are used by SwapTunes, but it just doesn't seem to work.

So, basically if I swap in the blank library iTunes asks me to setup my new phone and restore my 999 profile.

I'm embarrased I haven't gotten this to work now, and back on MMI someone with my exact problem has also posted in the same thread, in fact just below my post with the same query.

Whats your take on this? Should I hop into iTunes_control2 and inspect the files inside of the iTunes folder against those in iTunes_control(original)? I'm wondering if there is a file in there that isn't getting transferred, like one with a simple flag that says I've already got a partnership established with my desktop?

Just had a look and this is what I'm showing in the new library's iTunes folder:

iTunesControl
iTunesLock
iTunesPrefs

Interestingly, I don't have an iTunesLock in my original library's iTunes folder.

-

Renamed iTunesLock and tried to sync, same "Restore" message. Upon checking the iTunes folder again I've got a new iTunesLock file compliments of iTunes.

I'm going to throw some files in there and see what happens next, heh.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Alright, I've figured out a solution to this. I don't know why it didn't work properly in the first place, or what was being done by iTunes to make life worse but I suspect it was iTunes and not the application itself.

Here's the fix for others that might run into this problem:

Pick the correct Library which will let you sync with iTunes without it asking you to set up your new phone and profile.

Now, SSH into your phone and browse to:

/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes

and drag the contents to a folder on your computer.

Now browse to:

/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_2/iTunes

and copy all the files you just backed up from the step above.

The next step is to SwapTunes to the new Library and dock with your computer. iTunes will no longer ask you to restore your profile, however it will show all of your sync settings from the previous Library.

Uncheck the stuff you don't want syncing to this new Library and mark the things you DO want to sync to it. Press the Sync button when you're ready, and iTunes will make the adjustments.

Done!

Now whenever you swap Libraries, iTunes will show you the correct profile :)

----

I don't know how this turned into a SwapTunes thread, but since I started it IDC.

Gonna post this over in MMI to help the dude who ran into the same problem.