New App: SwapTones - Restore your Ringtone.plist after Syncing!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
SwapTones is a very simple native application which will first backup, and then restore your Ringtones.plist from then on out whenever its launched. So, lets say you sync with iTunes and notice your ringtone is now set to Marimba and your custom ringtones are gone. Simply launch SwapTones to restore your plist file and restore the custom ringtones in your selection menu again.

This application is not on Installer, and was made by me with the help of SwapTunes and the inspiration of Tinman who originally proposed the idea. Sorry Mike, I just got anxious waiting for yours, lol!

You can download this application below in the attachments, heres a sample of the graphics as well as the Readme File:

Icon

App Screen

From the Readme
SwapTones version 1

*What does it do?*

SwapTones restores your Ringtones.plist file after Syncing with iTunes with 1 simple Click!

*How to Install*

SSH to your iPhone and browse to the Applications folder.
Copy the SwapTunes.app folder to the Applications folder on your iPhone.
Open the SwapTunes.app folder and give SwapTunes.sh 0755 permissions

*IMPORTANT BEFORE SYNCING*

You will first need to run SwapTones once to create a backup of your currently working
Rintones.plist. This backup will be used from then on to restore your Ringtones.plist
whenver your launch SwapTones.

*How to Clear the Ringtones.plist for a new one*

SSH to your iPhone and browse to:
/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes
and delete the folder Ring_temp on your iPhone

*How to Uninstall*

SSH to your iPhone and browse to the Applications folder
Delete SwapTones.app
Browse to:
/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes
and delete the folder Ring_temp on your iPhone

*Credits*

Original Idea: Mike Aka Tinman
Original Code: Philippe aka shaialud
Code Hack/Graphics/Package: Frank aka x999x

*Contact*

If you would like to contact me for something other than "thanks" or
"how do I install this?" then please use: frankmjr@gmail.com

*Disclaimer:Caveat Hacktuer*

This software is offered "as-is" and I nor anyone listed in the credits
shall be held responsible for any unwanted affects that may arise from using it. Use at your own risk.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks!

Credit goes to the guy who made SwapTunes, I just took apart his code and once I understood what it was doing tweaked it for Ringtones :)

I've reskinned SwapTunes and SwapPhotos to use the SwapTones "Now Swapping Your..." screen. I'll post them if anyone is interested.

hackins

Nov 29, 2007
hey)) i cant download it, please send your app(swapTones) i need help. my iPhones firmware is 111 and after syncing with iTunes it cleans ringtones.plist, your swaptunes modification will be real helpful, thanks and with best regards Hackins, if u can please send your app to my mail hackins[on]mail.ru

upd: i did it, downloaded this app, now i have to upload it to phone, great,)) thanks

Jul 28, 2011
Hey, I know this post is old. I found another way to fix this problem, since I didn't manage to get this to work. I am currently using OSX and use a utility called DISKAID, which is basically like SSH, but through a usb cable. ( A lot quicker!)

Go to User/Media/iTunes_Control/

and copy that entire folder to your computer (time will vary depending on how much media you have in there).

Once the iTunes_Control folder is saved to your computer, go back to DiskAid and delete all of the folders "inside" of iTunes_Control (off of your ipod/iPhone).

Open iTunes and VOILA!, it will ask how you want to setup your library. I told mine to not sync anything and then sift through your backed up folder on your computer and copy everything back through iTunes. It will read the media tags and rename everything properly.

I personally had to do this, when swaptones did not work correctly on 3.1.3 (iPhone 2g) after setting file permissions. I hope this will help someone out in the future.