New Apple OS Hot? Not?

AfroAaron

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
The Big UK
What Do You think of the new Apple OS?

Numerous visual improvements are included in build 9A499. Among those, the new dock features a new separation graphic resembling a crosswalk, as opposed to the simple line seen in previous versions of Mac OS X.

Apple has also polished the menu bar icons to better blend with the new translucent menu bar introduced in build 9A466 last month.

The System Preferences icon has also seen a refresh for the first time ever, and now resembles the Settings icon used in the iPhone.

Finder windows can also be set to always show the path of a file with the new "Show Path Bar" option.

Other changes in the new build include a revamped Users & Groups browser, built-in support for Google Talk in iChat, new view options in iChat, and additional options when right-clicking on the Finder icon in the dock.

Last edited by a moderator:

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
so is it just a bunch of eye candy like vista...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i wasn't excited about leopard until it occurred to me that we might get Notes and task syncing with the iPhone. there will be Notes and Tasks sections in the new Mail application, and i'm really hoping this will be the way to sync these with the iPhone. if that's the case, i'm buying leopard as soon as i can get my little iphone-loving hands on it. :cool:

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
i wasn't excited about leopard until it occurred to me that we might get Notes and task syncing with the iPhone. there will be Notes and Tasks sections in the new Mail application, and i'm really hoping this will be the way to sync these with the iPhone. if that's the case, i'm buying leopard as soon as i can get my little iphone-loving hands on it. :cool:
Leopard also has other enhancements such as time machine and spaces. It also redesigns the entire dock so that not only does it look better but it is also more functional. You can create stacks in the doc that allow you to organize your documents etc right in the dock not on the desktop itself in folders.

Also finder will support coverflow... There are at least 30 enhancements.

Check here for a full tour.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/

I say this update is definitely hot!

AfroAaron

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
The Big UK
Leopard also has other enhancements such as time machine and spaces. It also redesigns the entire dock so that not only does it look better but it is also more functional. You can create stacks in the doc that allow you to organize your documents etc right in the dock not on the desktop itself in folders.

Thing im looking forward to

is time macine!

looks like it will come in handy now any again

and

spaces

basicly a copy off desktop manger but yes still looks nice!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com

i'm pretty familiar with leopard - i was *at* wwdc when it was previewed last summer, and tuned in via a live feed from another rumor site for the 2007 wwdc (and blogged about it). i just don't get all that excited about new versions of os x and don't stand in line to get them as soon as they come out. but leopard may be an exception if i get more sync functionality with my iPhone. otherwise, i'd just wait until they do a few software updates to address the major bugs...

AfroAaron

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
The Big UK
i'm pretty familiar with leopard - i was *at* wwdc when it was previewed last summer, and tuned in via a live feed from another rumor site for the 2007 wwdc (and blogged about it). i just don't get all that excited about new versions of os x and don't stand in line to get them as soon as they come out. but leopard may be an exception if i get more sync functionality with my iPhone. otherwise, i'd just wait until they do a few software updates to address the major bugs...

yes im with you on that one

i think iPhone is MORE funtoinable on leaperd but im still not waiting in line like some people!

its like, whats the point your getting it like 2days before me!:S

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
New Finder is easily worth it for me. Coverflow and QuickLook are going to save me so much time. I'm hoping Adobe InDesign will update to make use of this... previewing those files is a *****!

Time Machine—if it works as promised—is definitely going to #2 on my list.

Spaces seems like it might be useful in some instances. For those of us who wear multiple hats during the day (web programmar / artist /etc) gnome has had multiple window "desktops" for some time now but the way Apple's doing it is a lot more polished.

The Downloads/Stacks will be nice keeping the desktop clutter to a minimum. Thanks Steve, definitely guilty as charged on this one.

AfroAaron

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
The Big UK
I Agree

Im glad they made spaces

its a total copy off desktop manger
but i can imagine it will not churn up to mac as much as desktop manger does!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

You mean, 300.

Attachments

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
so is it just a bunch of eye candy like vista...
At least with Apple, you can switch from one operating system to the other without a tremendous learning curve requiring a post grad degree!:mad:

Seriously, Windows Vista is NOTHING like XP. Everything is renamed, moved around, and impossibly user un-friendly. They should look at Apple, they did it right the first time and haven't changed much since the original OS X.:cool:

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Vista is a mess - but lets not go down that road... LOL

I cannot WAIT for Leopard...

I hate a cluttered desktop so STACKS is something that made me go OOOoohhhh right away!

SPACES looks useful as well... I've often got different types of projects I'm working on that require very different programs, so I like the idea of separating them.

QUICK LOOK is hot... I do a lot of photography and it's going to be a pleasure to search for stuff with cover flow and quick look combined.

The new iChat and Mail didn't do much for me until I thought about the potential for where that could go on the iPhone.... Notes and To-Do lists I think are a done-deal for us... As for video chat, we'll have to wait and see ;)

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
yeah the new os is quite beautiful although it require 1gig memory to play with. i have tried the beta version and i like it. i heard rumour saying that leopard final release was ready. so we just wait for the launching date of the new os. oh yeah at the time of leopard go launch bootcamp will go expired on tiger that's what i heard :)