New Apple TV very disappointed had to return it already

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Just bought it last night and I had to return it this morning ......the picture on the screen was wobby/shaking my TV is 4-5 year old plazma with an HDMI output plugged it directly into it still shakey picture.........use HDMI switcher still shakey....use it on my newre TV upstairs no problem I heard they were having problem like this with older HD tv's anyone hear of this

Arnold 0

Bronze
Jun 30, 2010
Yes, heard of this for older tv's, I also heard it might be fixed via a software update, the original Apple TV did not have this issue because of an ability to have different output for different tv's.

I am getting a great picture. I am really enjoying mine, the ability to wirelessly get my desktop content on my TV is great. I never had a method to listen to my music this way before either. Podcasts & YouTube on my TV is neat as well.

I have watched entire movies on netflix with no issue. The iPad/iPhone remote was not intuitive but once I got it down, it's very cool.

I think buying or renting tv is stupid but I would replace payperview for new movies which i have done on cable on this device. If you use MobileMe galleries or fliker, its cool but not a big deal.

The overall reponsivness is pretty good, it moves faster than I thought it would.

It is extremely low on content obviously, no sports or news but a nice device for 99, especially if you didn't have netflix on your tv.

A great start, looking forward to apps and Hulu.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
I think more programming will come soon -- just since I joined Netflix a month ago there's more to choose from. Customer service is first-rate too! Defintely a better option than cable! Now if only I could watch "Dancing with the Stars" <sigh>.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think more programming will come soon -- just since I joined Netflix a month ago there's more to choose from. Customer service is first-rate too! Defintely a better option than cable! Now if only I could watch "Dancing with the Stars" <sigh>.
I bet when AirPlay is added into iOS, then you can stream your ABC Player from your iPad to Apple TV. Maybe after that there might be an ABC Player for the iPhone.

J

jackobjames

that sounds interseting to me..

AllenConder

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
I absolutely love my ATV, I have netflix and personally I think it's the best netflix player on the market...99 cent rentals are perfect for once in a while if you forgot to dvr a show, and this is all before airplay which will make ATV even better with my iPad

Only problem is typing on it with that remote, until I found the remote app for my iPad...problem solved

I have yet to find the time to jailbrake it, but just the fact that you can...and apps are coming is very exciting

Not perfect by any means, but for the price is fantastic...considering that netflix sells their own box for 130, and google tv is 300

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Not perfect by any means, but for the price is fantastic...considering that netflix sells their own box for 130, and google tv is 300
Actually the Netflix Roku XD boxes sell for 79 and 99 and have 1080p out whereas ATV has only 720p.

berryme

Jul 29, 2010
I've been contemplating between the Roku and ATV ....

May be i'll just go for the Roku!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wonder why Apple's only has 720. Makes me think a new ATV will be out momentarily ...
Doubtful. I think they'll wait at least one year from the ATV2 release date.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
Doubtful. I think they'll wait at least one year from the ATV2 release date.
Any thoughts on why Apple didn't go for 1080p in the first place if the technology is there? If my TV is capable of 1080p I won't be able to get as good a picture as I could get with the Netflix brand. I don't understand why Apple would only do 720.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have no idea. I don't know if it costs more to give it 1080p capability. It is disappointing, though. I'm sticking with my ATV1.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
I think it had something to do with bandwidth.

Most people don't even notice the difference between 720 & 1080' it's just something to feel good about when yiubspend $$ on a TV.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wouldn't you notice the difference with a 46" HDTV?
Yes. My sister would say there is no difference, but she's delusional. She asked me if I wanted to watch The Office over at her house tonight. I said I rather watch it at my house when I get home so I can see it in HD on a bigger TV, with good (and louder) audio, and no distractions from kids. She sighed and said it looks exactly the same on her (27" tube) TV.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
I think about 90% of the population does not even know how to set up their TV's and do not even get the picture they pay for. I use that site twektv or tweakmytv or something, but i still think 720 - 1080 is not that big a difference.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
I think about 90% of the population does not even know how to set up their TV's and do not even get the picture they pay for. I use that site twektv or tweakmytv or something, but i still think 720 - 1080 is not that big a difference.
I guess I would like to hear from Steve Jobs, perhaps at his next televised presentation, why Apple went with 720p instead of 1080p.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just asked my brother and he said it's because all the existing Apple TV content is 720p so they would have to update all the videos.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah 720p is pretty small. It's probably smaller than your computer monitor's resolution assuming your monitor is less than 5 years old. Go on youtube and try out a 720p video. Then switch it to 1080p and you can tell.