New AT&T Customers Beware

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
Alright, as any avid iPhone goer knows by now, ATT released a lovely PDF document of "get iReady" which merely lists the prices, accessories, and checklists of things that you should be prior to coming to the ATT store.. a great thing to have. So I followed the steps for the "Are you new to ATT?" (which I obviously am). At the bottom it simply states, "Reduce your wait time on launch day. Visit the store where you will puircahse teh iPhone and pre-qualify for a credit checK"

So.. I went to the ATT store and asked for a credit check. Apparently if you are a new customer, you MAY have to put down $500 deposit! Luckily for me, my credit is in excellent condition so I didn't have to, but lets just say the representative at ATT was astonished by the fact that no desposit was necessary because he said almost everyone has to pay the deposit. So for those of you who are NEW to ATT, go do the credit check now just in case you have to pony up that extra cash.

p.s. He said you get the $500 deposit back after ONE YEAR (quite a long time)

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
wow...$500

the max deposit for AT&T used to be $250. by no means do i have "bad" credit. but its not perfect. i assumed i would need some sort of deposit (i thought probably around $100) but im going to be really upset if my $300 purchase turns into $800 because i cant afford to pay that for a phone :(

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
wow...$500

the max deposit for AT&T used to be $250. by no means do i have "bad" credit. but its not perfect. i assumed i would need some sort of deposit (i thought probably around $100) but im going to be really upset if my $300 purchase turns into $800 because i cant afford to pay that for a phone :(

Believe me, I said WTF to the ATT guy also..

But nonetheless. Go your local ATT store after work, and go through the process. I only takes a few minutes and he said the credit check lasts for 90 days, so you don't have to go on the 11th if you don't want. Just do it to make sure, no one wants to be surprised come national 3g iPhone day

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
When I bought my V1 I was required to put down 5 face cards for a deposit. I wasn't surprised nor upset because #1 I know my credit cant buy me a bucket of used tennis balls and #2 you get the $500 back after a calendar year.

Follow @Naudan advice. Get your credit ran while the ATT store is empty. Save yourself the embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
Since i was getting new phones anyway i did all mine by calling in. Even though i don't have the 3G iPhone. When i setup my families account with other phones, he sent me out the sim card for it. So now i just need to take it in and have them activate it. At least thats what the csr guy said.

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
I had to pay $0 deposit for v1.

Some people don't, but as I said, if you waited for the 3g like I Did, and your going to be new to ATT because of it, just go get checked out because people DO have to pay a deposit sometimes, and you don't want to wait on line the 11th and be short $500 bucks and come home very very upset

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
I was looking at that check list and it say "you may purchase 1 phone per person in line" Will they let minors purchase? I don't see anything in the fine print about that.

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
I was looking at that check list and it say "you may purchase 1 phone per person in line" Will they let minors purchase? I don't see anything in the fine print about that.
I am not positive about semantics, but I would assume that someone would have to be 18 years old to get a contract. You may have to have your guardian set it up for you, but have your name under the number. But your best bet is to simply head over to ATT before the 11th and check with them

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
I am not positive about semantics, but I would assume that someone would have to be 18 years old to get a contract. You may have to have your guardian set it up for you, but have your name under the number. But your best bet is to simply head over to ATT before the 11th and check with them
Well im the grown up :) and its for my daughter. She will have her own money to buy, but i get to pay for the monthly bill. :) Your right ill give them a call in a few.

latinnftl

Bronze
Mar 19, 2007
I had to pay $0 deposit for v1.

I didn't have to do a deposit for v.1 either but there were lots of people in the store on iDay with me that were told they needed to. If I recall the dollars amount ranged $300-$600.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Is this all this crap turning into a big joke to anyone else?

Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't have my heart set on the new iPhone. "Luckily" I'm already an AT&T customer, so I wouldn't have to worry about it, but still, something stinks big time about this one.

Jun 30, 2008
Thanks for the info mate. I'll have to stop by there and get it checked. I still can't believe that they may require a $500 deposit for one year. That's a lot. I'd normally tell them to jog on but, I really need this phone!

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I just called customer service and had them run my credit and I won't have to put down a deposit.

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
I just want everyone to be happy on release, so go before hand and get it checked out.

Plus the benefit of going to the store is that when you go back to purchase it, you can skip the 10-15 mins of credit check, so it makes your time in the store quicker!

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
If you are a greater credit risk, then you will have to pay up. This is true for credit cards, interest rates, mortgages, etc.

Not to sound mean or anything, but maybe the lesson here is to improve your credit so you never have to put a deposit down.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
ok, here is another question....

for me, my fiance is switching to att on the 6th since her sprint plan runs out and we are going to go on a family share plan. i have verizon right now.

soo... when she goes into att, doesn't have to pay the deposit, since she has good credit, but then 5 days later, when i go buy my iPhone, would i have to put a deposit down since i have bad credit? i will be going on her account, hense the family share plan...?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Not sure where the AT&T worker came up with the basis for such a vague and erroneous statement. They only require deposits for people with credit scores which would make them a high risk. Typically low 600s or below, or if you are young and do not have a credit history, or if you have defaulted with another carrier within the last couple years or with AT&T in the past and it was charged off on their credit.

AT&T along with Verizon do have pretty strict credit requirements. Mine is not perfect, it is about average but they did not require a deposit from me when I got my iPhone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
ok, here is another question....

for me, my fiance is switching to att on the 6th since her sprint plan runs out and we are going to go on a family share plan. i have verizon right now.

soo... when she goes into att, doesn't have to pay the deposit, since she has good credit, but then 5 days later, when i go buy my iPhone, would i have to put a deposit down since i have bad credit? i will be going on her account, hense the family share plan...?
nope, she just adds a line on her plan for you and it will go on her credit.