New battery guidelines no longer “ABC—Always Be Charging”?

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Rafagon, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

#1 Rafagon, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The writer doesn't understand how cycles work.
    1% to 50% is not a full cycle. It's a half cycle.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You noticed that too, huh?

That was peculiar to me, but if you Google “40-80 charging rule,” there are plenty of articles advocating its use. Of course, this could simply be misinformation spreading around.

If you charge an iDevice with extremely low charge remaining, you’ll notice that charging slows down dramatically after around 80% or so. This is discussed in the Apple Support Communities. One reply by a higher level user states that this helps the battery not overheat, so it stands to reason that if you unplug it after 80% is reached, you’re doing the battery a favor.

You may get more total battery life if its charging was comprised mostly of 20->80% cycles instead of 0->100% cycles. Again, I’m no expert, but it does make some sense to me.

Even mophie says (in at least one of its product manuals) that you can make the best use of the charge in its battery cases by using this method (pp. 16-17 of this PDF).

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Now, if you ask me if I think it’s practical to only keep your phone charged in between 40% and 80% charged at all times, of course, that’s going to be quite difficult, unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands. This would only be possible in a perfect world.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Dude I change my phone every year, I don't care how long the battery lasts as long as it's at least 1 year lol

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm every 2 years. But the battery seems to last that long. It may be waning a bit, but will make it. I don't worry about the battery. Never put it in low power mode.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If you do 80%, then the first 20% of the next charge makes it 100% for a full charge count.