New blackberry falling behind with added WiFi

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta
You're welcome. N95 has great features and power, but the battery life, T9 text input, and Symbian OS are not huge turn-ons for me ...
After spending time with almost each mobile operating system, i gotta say the ones that excel are the linux based and obviously os x phones.

I seriously suggest moto rokr e6 for anyone that cant afford the iPhone but wants the touchscreen goodness.

Also the new rizr's are supposed to have a good linux os, just no touch screen

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
After spending time with almost each mobile operating system, i gotta say the ones that excel are the linux based and obviously os x phones.

I seriously suggest moto rokr e6 for anyone that cant afford the iPhone but wants the touchscreen goodness.

Also the new rizr's are supposed to have a good linux os, just no touch screen
What do you think of Palm's prospects with their fabled new Linux-based OS? I saw a good piece at Brighthand recently suggesting that they scrap Linux and go with WinMo - not because of anything wrong with Linux mind you, just because their current OS is SO out-dated and they risk having no user base left with their current timeline for when the new OS will appear. It's a good read:
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13351

Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta
Ugh i hate Palms. My dad has one, ive used it. SUCKS so bad.. It has some businesss tools and such, great third party support...but i mean they could do so much better. Personally i was thinking their company to end soon, with Apples entrance, and HTC doing so well.

I see where the author was going (with the adding their own stuff to WinMo)...its basically what htc did with the touch. Which was a good idea...but you only get so far into the operating system. At the core it will still look and act like WinMo. I hope they don't go into mixing. They should do what Motorola is doing with the full time linux OS's just make a businesss version? It would be cheaper, quicker, and since hiring Paul Mercer, they would probably make it look nice. But the idea of coming out with Palm OS 2 in 2009? Absurd. That would be suicide. By then Apple will be dominating the cell phone market more then likely. And HTC will own the businesss world.

Palm is basically stuck. But they didn't get far in the first place.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think Palm have done some good things, but have always been overrated in my view. I honestly don' think their future is bright, especially if they're gonna dick around for another year or two before releasing a new OS. I also just don't get how they have missed the boat for so long on not refreshing the OS.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Wow surprised to see this. The new blackberry curve with wifi has edge http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...s-blackberry-curve-with-wifi-we-check-it-out/
Seems surprising on smartphones today.

Is there even enough battery technology out yet to have wifi and 3g and bluetooth so they last as long as the present iPhone?

Too bad it doesn't have a camera. If if did, it would be one heck of a BB device.
I also think they need to do something about their screens. They don't pop like the iPhone screen does.