New Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac/PC (free)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Just an update... this ripper has been working perfectly for me so far. I've done half of the Battlestar Galactica series, and Weeds season 4. Each episode has turned out perfectly.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Did you upgrade your SuperDrive? Is that you on NewEgg reviewing the LG?

Edit: Nevermind, read that you used an external.

I am curious if you replaced your SuperDrive.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
initially i was using the external with my macbook pro. But when i got my Mac Pro, i took the external apart, and installed it in the internal expansion bay. I still have the superdrive in its original spot.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Now you have me considering an external blu-ray reader for my media laptop instead of a PS3...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks, acosmichippo. I'm going to send iMerlin a PM for more information on that.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Thanks, acosmichippo. I'm going to send iMerlin a PM for more information on that.
Yeah, I haven't been on these forums in a while or I wouldve been chiming in on this thread. Ive been using my PS3 for the last 2 months to rip Bluray iso files. Ubuntu is loaded onto the PS3 to accomplish this. I believe only the older models can load an alternate OS. So if you have the slim I don't think its doable.

Needed:
PS3 with Ubuntu loaded (I used 9.something, make sure you load all the updates)
Hardwire network connection
PC or Mac w/ some type of terminal program and if on the Mac you will need Windows running in Parallels or VM Ware.
Mac programs - Handbrake or MakeMKV

Windows Programs -
AnyDVD HD ($$) - http://www.slysoft.com/en/
tsMuxer (free) - http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
BDinfo (free) - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/BDInfo

Steps (This is assuming you have Ubuntu loaded and already running on the PS3)

SSH into your PS3 from the Mac:
I had to add a user with the same name to the iMac...

Go to advanced settings and create the user to match the one on the PS3. The only thing I changed on this screen was the account name.

Then go into sharing...

Go into options and make sure Windows file sharing is enabled...

Open Terminal and SSH into the PS3...

ssh -l merlinps3 10.0.1.8

(merlinps3 is the username created in Ubuntu on the PS3).
You should be in there now and ready to go.

Now you need to mount an SMB shared folder on the PS3. To do so, create a folder on the Mac, share it and add the ps3 user to allow access (I later changed to an external HDD and followed the same steps of sharing it. Im not sure location really matters much, as long as you share it)...

Once the folder is created, you have to mount the drive on the PS3...

sudo smbmount //10.0.1.9/BlurayRips /home/merlinps3/blurayrips -o username=merlinps3,password=xxx123,uid=1000,mask=000

10.0.1.9 is the iMac IP and BlurayRips is the folder you created to store the rips. /home/merlinps3/blurayrips is the folder mount point on the PS3. You may need to create a folder on the PS3 in that location of the same name.
I found this command helped troubleshoot whether or not I was properly sharing the folders...
smbclient -L merlinps3
You should see the blurayrip folder listed here as a share. If not, you may have to load SMBFS and SAMBA to the PS3...
sudo apt-get install samba
sudo apt-get install smbfs

Once the folder mounted on the PS3, you should see the icon appear on the PS3 Ubuntu desktop named blurayrips. Now you can put a bluray in and issue the following command in terminal...
sudo dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/merlinps3/blurayrips/BDname.iso

You wont see any response back from terminal until the copy is complete. Hard wired this has taken a couple of hours. Wirelessly its taken anywhere between 12-24 hours!
To check status of the copy, open Finder and navigate to the BlurayRip folder. As soon as you issue the command above you should see the iso appear in finder. You can check the file size there and see your progress.

You should have a 30+gb iso in that folder when completed. Now head over to Windows (I run Win 7 in Parallels), find the iso file, right click it and select Mount iso.
You should now see it appear by the devices like an actual drive.
Open BDInfo, browse to the virtual drive and open. Select Scan, this will find what playlist is needs to be extracted. Upon completion you will see playlists on top, usually the 1st playlist is the actual movie.

Open tsMuxer select ADD, navigate to the virtual drive/BDMV/PLAYLIST, find the playlist BDInfo had listed on top. tsMuxer will populate it. Select m2ts muxing, select a destination, name it whatever and Start Muxing. About an hour later you have an m2ts file ready to rock and roll!

I use PLEX on the Mac to watch the m2ts files. Or pop them into Handbrake to convert them to something else.

I relied a lot on these threads...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=621983&page=2
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541517
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280473

I also frequented the Ubuntu forums.
Once you do it one time, the rest of the times are a breeze.

By the way, if you want to boot back to the PS3 you can hold the power button down for 5 seconds until you hear the second beep, or issue this command...

boot-game-os

Good luck!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
So, if I were to use MakeMV on a Mac Mini(with external Blu Ray reader) the result would be a 1080p file playable through Plex? Reason being, I enjoy my AppleTV and decided to jump to a Mac mini. Mostly because I've been on a media updating kick lately. Finally taking the time to manage my music and more importantly enjoy it.

The Mac mini, with Plex, seems like an upgraded Apple TV. Plus, I plan on subscribing to MLB next year, so I'll be able to watch this on my TV. There are also a few series on Hulu that my wife and I forgot to TiVo. Access to these would also be pretty cool.

I'm in the planning stages now... have a good share of BluRay discs. Figured you guys might have some insight.

TIA.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yep, MKV files are viewable in Plex. But you could also compress them to .m4v while retaining 1080p resolution using handbrake.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep, MKV files are viewable in Plex. But you could also compress them to .m4v while retaining 1080p resolution using handbrake.

So, get myself a USB reader (like this one). Then I can run MakeMV from the mini. The resulting file will run in Plex, but I can convert to m4v using Handbrake. That would allow me to play within iTunes and others that support .m4v.

This is going to be fun... :)

Last edited:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Or you could do what I did and get a HP media laptop off Ebay and run XBMC on it. Cheapest 1080p networkable and universal media player you'll find.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
unfortunately BD-ROM drives will not work in OSX with this program. Honestly, i don't really understand why myself, but it needs to have at least CD/DVD writing capabilities.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Or you could do what I did and get a HP media laptop off Ebay and run XBMC on it. Cheapest 1080p networkable and universal media player you'll find.
I thought about a Dell Zino HD, which starts at $229. Ended up with a refurbished Mac mini after watching this video. Outside of my Bootcamp installs, we're a Mac house. This will ultimately replace the AppleTV if all goes well. I also bought an app called Air Mouse Pro that doubles as a keyboard. I believe you can make it work in Windows also.

unfortunately BD-ROM drives will not work in OSX with this program. Honestly, i don't really understand why myself, but it needs to have at least CD/DVD writing capabilities.
Blu-ray readers will work with MakeMV though... you just cannot actually watch Blu Ray.O_o

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Maybe I was a litle unclear... You need a drive with at least cd/DVD writing capabilities. It doesn't need to be able to write BluRay. Seems like a trivial point until you see how many BD-Rom-only drives there are out there.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Maybe I was a litle unclear... You need a drive with at least cd/DVD writing capabilities. It doesn't need to be able to write BluRay. Seems like a trivial point until you see how many BD-Rom-only drives there are out there.
So a Blu Ray reader is all that is needed to rip them.

Finally getting the hang of Plex. That's an awesome app. Pulled out a number of TV Series DVD sets we had in the attic. Using Handbrake to rip for Apple TV.