New Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac/PC (free)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Hehe, how complicated. Ever find out why OSX requires that?
It says in the link. OSX has permissions that only allow reading if its a read only device. So if you have a bluray reader that can write DVDs then it will actually allow writing as well, not just reading. If it was just a read-only bluray drive, OSX only gives the user permission to read.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I picked up an LG CH08 internal Blu Ray reader, CD/DVD writer. Didn't realize it was a sata drive and my Mac Pro is ATA/IDE.

I did try using MakeMKV with the SuperDrive and then tried converting with Handbrake. Testing out the workflow more than anything --- and it worked great.

The scraping capabilities and resulting display of Plex is just awesome. iTunes has no problem pulling iTunes art for music, but no such feature exists for movies, TV shows. I'm guessing the studios would frown upon this? My collection on AppleTV always felt incredibly unorganized, with no way to organize properly. Plex cures all of that. The software is a bit tricky, but the results are great. I'll share a screenshot if I can figure out how to get it out of fullscreen mode.

Thanks for all the help.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
By the way, you can use MetaX to add movie/tv show art and tags to video files made by handbrake.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Plextor BD drive arrived this morning from NewEgg. MakeMKV running right now. If this works, I will be very siked. :eek:k:eek:k

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Worked like a charm. Converted to M4V and compared quality. I definitely noticed a difference. I might stick with MKV.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, you've gotta bump up the resolution. I don't recall what the default is on the appltv preset, but it's below 720p. Open the Picture settings menu, and change the width to 1920. Then click the "+" at the bottom of the preset window to add a new preset, and make sure you click the box to use the current picture size. That'll make a new custom preset so you don't have to keep changing it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have Lie To Me on BR and I'm ripping it to an MKV. There is no option to break it into episodes. Will Handbrake recognize the episodes and then I can generate mk4 files for each episode? The goal being to get the episode scrapes within Plex.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, once it analyzes the disc, you can choose which titles to rip. Makemkv has been awesome for me. I've probably ripped about 100 blurays, and have only had problems with 3 or 4.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yeah, no real problems here either. Just updated today. Looks like it's becoming a paid app. Pricey at $50, but it's worth it to me. Been real reliable, super fast and just works.

W

ww927bin

Hi, I'm new to this forum, intrested in it.

I just did a simple search for a blu-ray ripper and reviews on Google, and found the AnyDVD HD,but it only run on pc.

MakeMKV sounds very good except output MKV files only.BD+ is a technology used to prevent unauthorized copies of Blu-ray discs and the playback of Blu-ray media using unauthorized devices, which is more powerful than the former AACS protections. Can MakeMKV remove BD+ protections ?

thanks

W

ww927bin

thanks

Is this mean i can select if downloading the latest combined SVQ file? However if i download, it will help me decrypt better.

I want to convert Blu-Ray disks that I own to DVD format so I can play them on a TV/DVD combo in the bedroom.

regards

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Make mkv rips BD+ just fine with that Svq.

I have not tried converting to DVD, so I can't really comment on that. I use it to make Appletv videos.