New Cell Tower-Fake Tree

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Do other places of the U.S. put up cell towers disguised as fake trees? This one was just "installed" down the street from my house and I found it rather interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
We don't have those kind of trees up here in the Mitten, but that's a really cool idea. I guess they could make ours look like giant pine trees, but it'd probably be a lot more involved. Looks a whole lot better than just a plain tower!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
cool --- that could work great at Kiawah Island where fellow residents are fighting new towers as eyesores...... and reception is awful

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Do other places of the U.S. put up cell towers disguised as fake trees? This one was just "installed" down the street from my house and I found it rather interesting.
I worked at a convention for the National Assocation Of Tower Erectors one year and you'd be surprised at all the ways they can disguise cell towers. Trees are the most inconspicuous but they've also put them in church steeples, billboards, and other non-tower-looking structures.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, due to NIMBYs this is starting to happen more frequently, though it has been going on for years. Seems to happen a lot when store/lot/school/church/whatever decides to lease space to a tower/cell company.

This seems to be a great compromise, as evidenced by the photo in the OP (you'd not likely know it was there if you were driving by).

--
Mike

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
There's been one up disguised as a pine tree down the road from where I live for atleast the past 10 years if not more!

And I'm spotting them more often around town.

Cool idea.

=P

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This is a great way to preserve the look of a community while benefiting as a whole as well, nice innovation (even if it's been around for a while).

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
We have had one in a McDonald's parking lot for 9 Years, and after they erected it my phone service was better.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Ha! That's pretty neat. I've not seen them out here, but then again, maybe I did, and didn't realize it! :D

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That's what's nice about Michigan, we've got both the East and West coasts in one state!
Yes I've noticed this. Only when flying over Michigan, of course, but noticed it I did. ;)

--
Mike

I saw a cell tower that was disguised as a tree but I can't remember where it was. I know I saw it somewhere during vacation last September. It wasn't a palm tree and it had those transponders on three different levels down the tree. On each level they had fake leaves trying to hide the transponder things. It looked really weird. Not sure if it was in Utah, Nevada or California.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Here in Atlanta ours are like Pine Trees