New commerical continuity error

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
I was reading through the other sites online and found this article:

Last week at D, Steve Jobs told Mossberg 3rd party apps would come later this year. And a lot of geeks were happy, but lots didn't believe him, either. John Markoff of the NYTimes backs up the story, and claims that some sort of SDK will be unveiled at WWDC.

A person briefed on Apple's plans said that at its software developer conference this month, Apple intends to announce that it will make it possible for developers of small programs written for the Macintosh to easily convert them to run on the iPhone.

To me, that sounds like an app to convert Widgets for use in the iPhone. Now THAT could be a killer app. Consider the number of Widgets available already. This bit of info follows closely behind Jobs saying that 3rd party support would occur later in the year.

Speaking of Apps...the good Doctor Macenstein has watched the commercials 1,000 times or so, and has uncovered a little continuity error in one of the thirty second commercials revealed on 60 Minutes tonight. There are 11 apps at one time, and then later, an unseen 12th app pushes the other known icons down. Any guesses as to what the mystery program is?

I went through the ads frame by frame to see for myself and i found it in the "how to" ad. right at the start of the add when they push the ipod button. here are pics.

every picture (like this one) you have seen of the iPhone has had 11 icons on it.
normal.jpg

but in picture 2 you can see that the clock has moved into the bottom row of icons, and settings is all the way to the right.
Picture 1.jpg

in picture 3, which is right after the button is pushed, the apps float off the screen and settings and notes are going to the right, while the calculator and the clock go left.
Picture 2.jpg

in picture 4, there is a cut scene in the editing of the commerical, and it zooms out to show only 11 apps, and calculator and notes are now going to the left, while clock is up near the top right and settings is going off to the lower right....
Picture 3.jpg

there must be a nother app that was made sure not to be in any of the shots, but they messed up and had a scene where the apps were shifted.

what are you thoughts on this everyone?

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
i'd also like to add that to get those pictures, i used the awesome SHITF+COMMAND+SPACE BAR+4 to capture those pictures with ease straight from the ads off the Apple page.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Brilliant marketing by Apple to get people talking about the device or it could be nothing at all.

It's pretty obvious you can move stuff around on home screen to where you want it...

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Brilliant marketing by Apple to get people talking about the device or it could be nothing at all.

It's pretty obvious you can move stuff around on home screen to where you want it...
I'm thinking this is less about brilliance and more about timing. I think there was definitely a widget added between the filming of these commercials. Whether that was a test they were running on a potential widget or we're seeing a glimpse of how many apps are going to come on the iPhone is a total speculation.

My personal opinion is, Apple must, at some point along the way, open up the development of apps for the iPhone. Steve is touting the fact that most smart phones aren't so smart. Well, if you can't add smarts to your smart phone to make is smarter, then how smart is it really? Ultimately they would lose a huge amount of appeal for the iPhone if there was only a limited selection of apps. I believe they learned this long long ago with the Mac.

Everyone out there has their own special needs for a smart phone. For me, I need a Chinese/English dictionary since my wife is Chinese, and I need apps or widgets oriented for aviation because I'm a GA pilot. I think pretty much everyone out there who wants a smart phone is in this same boat.

Even though the iPhone is not going to initially have some of the functionality I need I'm very happy they are taking a careful approach to this. Security first, functionality second is pretty much the opposite of the rest of the consumer tech world. Apple definitely has their priorities right.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007

Last week at D, Steve Jobs told Mossberg 3rd party apps would come later this year. And a lot of geeks were happy, but lots didn't believe him, either. John Markoff of the NYTimes backs up the story, and claims that some sort of SDK will be unveiled at WWDC.

A person briefed on Apple's plans said that at its software developer conference this month, Apple intends to announce that it will make it possible for developers of small programs written for the Macintosh to easily convert them to run on the iPhone.

To me, that sounds like an app to convert Widgets for use in the iPhone. Now THAT could be a killer app. Consider the number of Widgets available already. This bit of info follows closely behind Jobs saying that 3rd party support would occur later in the year.

Speaking of Apps...the good Doctor Macenstein has watched the commercials 1,000 times or so, and has uncovered a little continuity error in one of the thirty second commercials revealed on 60 Minutes tonight. There are 11 apps at one time, and then later, an unseen 12th app pushes the other known icons down. Any guesses as to what the mystery program is?

I went through the ads frame by frame to see for myself and i found it in the "how to" ad. right at the start of the add when they push the ipod button. here are pics.

every picture (like this one) you have seen of the iPhone has had 11 icons on it.

but in picture 2 you can see that the clock has moved into the bottom row of icons, and settings is all the way to the right.

in picture 3, which is right after the button is pushed, the apps float off the screen and settings and notes are going to the right, while the calculator and the clock go left.

in picture 4, there is a cut scene in the editing of the commerical, and it zooms out to show only 11 apps, and calculator and notes are now going to the left, while clock is up near the top right and settings is going off to the lower right....

there must be a nother app that was made sure not to be in any of the shots, but they messed up and had a scene where the apps were shifted.

what are you thoughts on this everyone?
Man, nothing gets by you, huh? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007

I think you and the following post are both correct. There is the option to the move the HOME icons around that best suits your needs... at the same time, I do think there will be the choice to add to the home screen different applications. Both of these things = great in my book!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

If most Widgets could be "updated" to work with the iPhone that would be huge. Thousands of tiny apps ready to go on the iPhone! My latest favorite Widget is TV Forecast.

Now, how many times did the iHand drop the iPhone during the making of the commercials, flipping it around like that. :sick:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If most Widgets could be "updated" to work with the iPhone that would be huge. Thousands of tiny apps ready to go on the iPhone! My latest favorite Widget is TV Forecast.

Now, how many times did the iHand drop the iPhone during the making of the commercials, flipping it around like that. :sick:

Ah the TV Forecast widget seems awesome! I can't wait to see the capabilities of the iPhone.

beley

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
I'm thinking this is less about brilliance and more about timing. I think there was definitely a widget added between the filming of these commercials. Whether that was a test they were running on a potential widget or we're seeing a glimpse of how many apps are going to come on the iPhone is a total speculation.

My personal opinion is, Apple must, at some point along the way, open up the development of apps for the iPhone. Steve is touting the fact that most smart phones aren't so smart. Well, if you can't add smarts to your smart phone to make is smarter, then how smart is it really? Ultimately they would lose a huge amount of appeal for the iPhone if there was only a limited selection of apps. I believe they learned this long long ago with the Mac.

Everyone out there has their own special needs for a smart phone. For me, I need a Chinese/English dictionary since my wife is Chinese, and I need apps or widgets oriented for aviation because I'm a GA pilot. I think pretty much everyone out there who wants a smart phone is in this same boat.

Even though the iPhone is not going to initially have some of the functionality I need I'm very happy they are taking a careful approach to this. Security first, functionality second is pretty much the opposite of the rest of the consumer tech world. Apple definitely has their priorities right.
Since the iPhone will have Safari web browser that works in landscape mode, I'm excited to develop WEB apps for the iPhone.

I'm hoping Basecamp and Highrise work well, but I pretty much expect they will.

As for Chinese/English dictionary... couldn't you just find a good one online and go to the web page?

I agree, the ability to make widgets would be cool (and is probably on the way soon) but I think I'll be just fine without my 10000 Palm apps that are available for my Treo. I find that I really only need a phone for... making phone calls, organizing contacts and email.