new customers and upgrade eligible customers only

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
So I just spoke to my AT&T businesss rep, the same one who told me a couple of weeks ago that the launch was set for the last week of June, probably on 6/29, before the commercials starting hitting.

This time, he confirmed my fears and provided some new info on who and who is not eligible to purchase the iPhone and how activations will work...

- The iPhone will only be made available to new customer activations and current AT&T customers, either towards the end of their contract or out of contract and eligible to upgrade. A new two year agreement will be started at the time of purchase. Current AT&T customers, like myself, who are already in a contract and not eligible for an upgrade will be denied an iPhone purchase. If you are already in a contract, you cannot simply restart the contract or add another two years to it. Current AT&T customers in my situation, can purchase the iPhone by adding a line to their existing account. Adding a line is equivalent to a new activation.

- Business AT&T customers are out as well. If you're a businesss customer interested in the iPhone, you can activate a new individual line.

- The internal versus external SIM card debate still rages on. My rep told me that even now, 16 days before launch, they do not have firm confirmation yet on whether or not it will be an internal SIM or an external, removable SIM.

- The iPhone will not be sold through AT&T's customer service department or AT&T's website at launch and probably not for at least the first 30 days. He doesn't know if it will be sold through Apple.com.

- Activation is required at the time of purchase at AT&T and Apple stores. You cannot buy the iPhone, like you would an iPod, and simply leave.

- Purchasing at AT&T stores will require going through the normal activation process. He is unsure if iTunes is somehow integrated into this process or not.

- Purchasing at Apple stores will also require on-site activation. He believes, although, not 100% sure that activation will occur online with the Apple reps accessing AT&T. Credit applications and checks will be performed, the whole nine yards. If something unusual occurs or if the customer has questions about AT&T plans and services, the Apple reps will call AT&T for support.

- The $499/$599 prices are set. The iPhone is unsubsidized and no discounts will be given, even if you're upgrading.

- Some sort of a data plan will be required. The pricing is unknown currently.

So if you're a current AT&T customer, please check with AT&T if you are eligible to upgrade or not before deciding to stand in line for several hours, then go home empty handed.

Personally I'm going with the adding a new line to my account route. My wife has an account with T-Mobile. I'm going to activate a new account, give her the new one, transfer her number over to it and cancel her T-Mobile account. Then I'll replace the iPhone's SIM with mine, assuming that it will be an external SIM. This is going to be a huge mission!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I hope he was just talking out his ass. Apple better not make this happen, I know AT&T has the final call but they will be losing many potential buyers.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
no, this doesn't belong in the definitive activation / eligibility thread above at all. *dripping with sarcasm*

sorry, but i won't really believe you or anyone else until i receive official word from the two companies.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Ok I called and this is what I got out of the convo:
Rep tells me that someone called up saying that existing customers couldnt get it saying he got that info from an AT&T Store so he "the rep" called up another store and got the same reply. He then said he didn't hear from his bosses yet about the matter. Lastly he said that existing customers may have to wait a few weeks after launch to get it in contract.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
At this stage of the game, everything is in limbo. The only thing you can count on, is that you cannot count on anything. If Apple stays on track and releases the iPhone on the 29th at 6PM as is the current word, then at that time every question anyone has will be answered. Until then it's subject to change. Nothing, is set, period.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
- The internal versus external SIM card debate still rages on. My rep told me that even now, 16 days before launch, they do not have firm confirmation yet on whether or not it will be an internal SIM or an external, removable SIM.
Debate? Debate? The phone is already built. This sort of 'debate' had to have been settled months ago. Just because your source doesn't know the answer doesn't mean its up for debate.

I would be very surprised if it was not a removable SIM card. I think the only US cell vendor still using internal SIMs is Sprint.

- SR

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I hope he was just talking out his ass. Apple better not make this happen, I know AT&T has the final call but they will be losing many potential buyers.
Well all indications have shown this all along.

The first versions of the commercials containing that "Use requires minimum new 2 year activation plan." disclaimer still holds true, except it is not being advertised anymore to prevent a massive amount of customer service calls.

Have you ever read or heard of any concrete info on what they are planning to offer current AT&T customers, already in a contract? I haven't.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Debate? Debate? The phone is already built. This sort of 'debate' had to have been settled months ago. Just because your source doesn't know the answer doesn't mean its up for debate.

I would be very surprised if it was not a removable SIM card. I think the only US cell vendor still using internal SIMs is Sprint.

- SR
Debate as in debating here, not at AT&T or Apple. Of course, that has been decided months, even a year ago.

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
For what it's worth...

I called my local Apple store yesterday to ask if they could handle a new activation with 2 number ports AND a teacher discount.

He said he wasn't sure, and that he knew as much as I did at this point. But he DID say they had a ATT kiosk/station set up in the store that would handle activation/questions about service. Don't know if this is new or old news, but it makes sense that Apple would bring in a little "help" with the phone/service side of things.

I myself am still going to go to the ATT store, as I have a hunch they'll know how to port and process a lot better than the Apple store!

Kurt

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
another thing I heard was that there will be an iPhone PLAN not a pda plan nor voice+Data plan but an iPhone plan.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
- The $499/$599 prices are set. The iPhone is unsubsidized and no discounts will be given, even if you're upgrading.
If that is true then Att is gonna **** this launch up hardcore. Why the hell would they do something like this? If the thing is unsubsidized, then why do you have to sign a new contract or have to be eligible for a upgrade?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm getting sick and tired of speculation and rumors. I don't and can't understand why the hell they won't just release some damn information! (most importantly regarding current customers, since there are SO MANY)

It's like no one even cares about the phone, and the features, or even the plans so much anymore, we just need to know if the people are even going to SELL them to us, now!

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
All this does make sense. And mav's source has been correct before. I think that there are enough potential customers that are willing to switch to AT&T or due for an uprgrade that AT&T can afford to do this.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
If that is true then Att is gonna mess this launch up hardcore. Why the hell would they do something like this? If the thing is unsubsidized, then why do you have to sign a new contract or have to be eligible for a upgrade?
EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm not eligible for an "upgrade", and I can't just extend my contract, but you're also gonna deny me the opportunity to just buy the phone outright? What's even MORE EFFED up about it is, IF AT&T WOULD sell the phone at the full price of 500 or 600$, to current subscribers, they would probably STILL extend your contract. That's probably the REALITY of it.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007

Since 99.9% of everything anyone a person has quoted an AT&T rep has said about this has not been true, I would say that is a good guess. Regardless if this guy supposedly guessed the launch date.

It very well could be true, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

- SR
From all accounts I have seen, it is a removable SIM. From day one it has been referred to as a "SIM Tray," one of the few details we actually knew about. Recently, a new picture appeared with a clearly visible SIM "slot" on the top.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Well all indications have shown this all along.

The first versions of the commercials containing that "Use requires minimum new 2 year activation plan." disclaimer still holds true, except it is not being advertised anymore to prevent a massive amount of customer service calls.

Have you ever read or heard of any concrete info on what they are planning to offer current AT&T customers, already in a contract? I haven't.
Ask your rep friend what their commission is on a 2 year contract.

Seems like some wishful thinking on their part potentially. We haven't heard anything the other way, because there is no incentive for an AT&T rep to make anything up about it being any different.

He very well could know it, but to be honest, when only one rep in the world says something it is likely made up.

When we have 20 separate sources all guaranteeing the same thing, we can have some idea some official word has come down internally.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
another question I raise is:
If they were looking for a popular network with many people why shouldn't existing customers be able to buy? If they were banking on people Jumping networks why didn't they pick a different one?

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
another thing I heard was that there will be an iPhone PLAN not a pda plan nor voice+Data plan but an iPhone plan.
i heard this too today - i went out and bought a jawbone from the AT&T store down the street during lunch, and i asked about any further details regarding the data plans and other stuff with the iPhone.

he showed me the training manual we've all already seen, and then mentioned his data tech dude person (don't recall exact title) said there has been talk of new iPhone plans, because the iPhone isn't as much a PDA, such as a blackberry or palm, as it is a phone.

again, we wont know anything at the latest until the 29th, or until either company make a press release regarding all of it sometime before then.