New dock conector

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by jford951, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jford951

jford951 Member
    Bronze

Is it known yet if there will be an adaptor for the new dock?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think it's pretty much a lock. Apple's had a pretty good history (magsafe) of providing adapters. A move this massive based on all of the existing iPhone accessories, they have to do this. Imagine having a $500 sound dock and not having an adapter. It would keep people on the fence about jumping to the new iPhone. Not to mention, that little piece of plastic that Apple ends up selling will cost them pennies to make and they'll sell it for upwards of $10.

Some have said they'll give them away, but I doubt it.

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Here's a thought. Do you think it’s possible for Apple to up the voltage to charge The New iPhone like is on the New iPad 3? The plug for the iPad 3 charges my iPhone really fast and I was thinking with the new things that are rumored to be in The New iPhone like a 4G radio, possible larger capacity battery and that near field technology do you think there is a chance that the previous chargers just won't charge the iPhone properly?

As for an adapter it would be a good idea to have one to hook your new iPhone up to the previous speakers or other favorite old technology as long as it works with The New iPhone.

I think I might get new stuff. I've been hankering for a new speaker set for a while. I believe if The New iPhone has a snazzy new design that manufactures will be coming out with all kinds of beautiful accessories.

4. jford951

jford951 Member
    Bronze

Well that sucks that you may have to buy them but I guess thinks must change so that's the way it goes

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Well it does suck but its kinda inevitable that when Apple changes something, they really change it. IDK what The New iPhone will bring, but I wouldn't be surprised if old favorite cases, plugs and speaker systems just won't work with it.

It's time for an iPhone change. We've had two years of the iPhone 3G design and two of the iPhone 4 design, it's time for a change. I just hope it's a welcome beautiful change and not the crap renderings that are plastered everywhere. EWW! I don't mind a change, just make it gorgeous!

6. jford951

jford951 Member
    Bronze

yes I here you there I hope it is more of a change than the renderings we have seen. I will be disappointed if they use the same basic design

7. jpepping

jpepping New Member

I am a little worried that the small form factor of the new connector will not be strong enough to hold the iPhone and that any little torque at all will break it off and it will be STUCK in the phone itself, or worse ruin the contacts of the connectors. This could be even worse once you add an adapter and raise the height of the iPhone in the dock, thus increasing the MOI and boom! broken connector. I wonder if warranty will cover this?

8. drtbro4033

drtbro4033 New Member

If Apple didn't produce an adapter, I can't imagine the backlash it would cause. I'm all for changing the dock if it leads to extra space for battery inside, improved charging speeds, etc, so I'm not one of those people screaming about how terrible this is. But if they really made all accessories obsolete by NOT producing an adapter...I would certainly not be buying any new Apple products in the new future.
    But again, I can't see them not making an adapter. I only hope that one comes with the purchase of the new iPhone. And also that it's not too clunky.
    I've seen some people suggest that the new dock might involve MagSafe...but I don't see that happening either. The point of MagSafe is to prevent accidentally tripping over/pulling on the cord and sending your laptop/tech onto the floor. Works great with MacBooks. But wouldn't an iPhone be too light for this? Even with MagSafe, I feel like a tug on the cord would still cause your iPhone to be pulled along, even if the MagSafe disconnects. Any thoughts on that?

9. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I'm sure they will produce an adapter and if not someone will. It's kind of like a double edge sword if technology stayed the same forever we would have no progression. I like the idea of the new connector.

10. jford951

jford951 Member
    Bronze

I was also worried about it breaking with an adaptor also

11. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

My concern is Apple selling it for $29.99 like the official Apple bumper that you can buy for $3 on eBay. I need about 5 with my various docks and wouldn't be overly thrilled with anything over $10 per adapter.

12. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

Totally agree. I too need that many and don't want to pay a lot either.

13. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

EverythingiCafe updated with a post stating that Apple appears to be going to an 8-pin dock connector. I would expect a change either way, whether it be 19(as rumored before) or 8.

#13 Girdler, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  14. abnvet

abnvet Member
    Bronze

Agreed. Hope that there is an adapter and that it doesn't cost much. I have a couple of phones in the household that would need them.

15. casssax

casssax Member
    Bronze

My car (Hyundai Elantra) has and iPod/iPhone adapter built in. What it has is kind of weird actually. It's a USB port and a 1/4 stereo input right next to each other. Their is a cable that you can get from Hyundai or aftermarket that plugs into both the USB and the 1/4 inch at the same time and has an iPhone dock connector on the other end. When you plug the phone into the cable it transfers all control of the iPod part of the phone over to the car stereo so you can see the song information on the cars stereo display, and you can select from songs, artists, playlists right on the car stereo itself.

I know there are many other cars out there that have iPod/iPhone connectors built in. I really hope Apple has a solution for connecting to "old" style connectors. In my case it may be that I just need to get a new connector cable. The strange thing is that Apple will still be selling a lot of devices that still have the original style connector so now both Apple and aftermarketers are going to have to have multiple options for sale.

I also have some very good quality microphones that plug into the iPhone connector. I have an original Blue Mickey condenser mic (That only works on my old iPhone3/3S because Apple changed the connector when they created the iPhone4 so you can't send direct analog signals anymore) and I have a Tascam iPhone condenser mic that works with the iPhone4/4S because it has a built in analog/digital converter. These are somewhat obscure accessories, but many people use them for doing remote pod casts and field recording. I hope the technology in the iPhone5 will still allow high quality recording through the connector dock.

One other thought, many people I know have one person in the family that has the new iPhone and often pass the old iPhone down to someone else in the family like a child or a spouse. Some type of adapter will be necessary because people are not going to have two different speaker docks in their kitchens depending on who want's to use them.

16. jack19850127

jack19850127 Guest

it is almost confirmed that a smaller dock is going to replace the current 30pin docker, even Apple doesn't come with a new adapter for the so-called iPhone5, no worry , there will be adapter available in the market as soon as possible, accessories will flock to produce them as they clearly understand how much they could earn by supplying accessories for Apple iPhone!

17. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I think they may incorporate a dock connection that also uses the headphone jack along with the the charging jack. This would not only give it more stability but also more options. I'm only speaking for accessories not the charging cable itself.

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app