New email alert sound

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So I made a new email alert sound. Being the only one besides voicemail that isn't customizable via the phone, it was driving me and the wife crazy... "was that your email or mine?"

So I thought I'd share it, as I had a hard time finding a sound that was pleasing, gets attention, but doesn't annoy. Very hard. But I think I did it.

In case you don't know how it works, download the file, change the extension to .caf and copy to the iPhone (using whatever SSH method you use) under the directory /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

And there ya go. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
This is my unlock sound.

It's refreshing...if that word can be used to describe a tone, haha.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Weird dude. I just dug up this thread for myself in a search today because I forgot to backup this one before restoring (see other thread). Talk about a co-inky dink.

I love this sound. It's cuts through a relatively noisy room without smashing folks over the head. It's like a fresh breath.... "what was that?"

Jul 26, 2009
So I made a new email alert sound. Being the only one besides voicemail that isn't customizable via the phone, it was driving me and the wife crazy... "was that your email or mine?"

So I thought I'd share it, as I had a hard time finding a sound that was pleasing, gets attention, but doesn't annoy. Very hard. But I think I did it.

In case you don't know how it works, download the file, change the extension to .caf and copy to the iPhone (using whatever SSH method you use) under the directory /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

And there ya go. Enjoy.
Hello Dave,
Thanks for the information. What is "SSH" and how do I get to the directory/System/Library/Audio?UISounds that your mentioned? I used a program called DiskAid to transfer the file with the new caf extension to my inphone but I don't really know what to do now. Thanks.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hello Dave,
Thanks for the information. What is "SSH" and how do I get to the directory/System/Library/Audio?UISounds that your mentioned? I used a program called DiskAid to transfer the file with the new caf extension to my inphone but I don't really know what to do now. Thanks.

Matt
There is a search button at the top of this forum, in between 'New Posts' and 'Quick Links'

A quick insight is; it allows you to brows through your phone's directory, altering files, adding themes etc... www.google.com will help you.

Jul 26, 2009
There is a search button at the top of this forum, in between 'New Posts' and 'Quick Links'

A quick insight is; it allows you to brows through your phone's directory, altering files, adding themes etc... www.google.com will help you.
Thanks John for the reply. I will check that out.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
@ psylichon

Good tone, i've added it. I had the typical 'You got mail'

Like you said, it's fresh, easy on the ears and doesn't get on your nerves

Good job bro :cool:

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I got an email alert from Cydia of David Letterman saying, "Congratulations, Skippy - you've got mail!" It's nice and loud and of very good quality.

hfolmt

Sep 24, 2009
new email sound

This worked great. Remember to respring or reboot after installing new sound.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Thanks for bumping this thread! I never would have found it otherwise. Great work Dave, I love it! I'll be loading this in when I get home today. Nice work man! :)

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I forgot about this too! Will be nice to have a different email sound from my fiance now.

This must be highly searched, as this thread has received over 15,000 views as of this post.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
i thought you had to rename it to one of the other mail files?

meth2000

Jan 5, 2009
The instructions that are listed in the thread are they for Mac users only or will it work on Windows too? Also is for Jailbroken phones?

meth2000

Jan 5, 2009
Ok I get renaming the file, but I'm lost on SSHing. does that mean I need to jail break the phone or do I need a program to assit. or am I making it more complicated

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Jailbreaking is required for SSH, which is required to get the file on the phone.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ok I get renaming the file, but I'm lost on SSHing. does that mean I need to jail break the phone or do I need a program to assit. or am I making it more complicated
After JB'ing download OpenSSH through Cydia - then a 3rd party piece of software such as cyberduck will allow you to SSH into your phone's file directory

simba33

Silver
Oct 21, 2009
Kingsburg CA
www.ebwebcreations.com
thanks psylichon! i downloaded it and replaced the glass ringtone for sms with your new tone and it works great! i know you meant it to be for the email app but i hate having tri-tone like everyone else and all of us checking our phones at once wondering who it was.