New England Weather

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Good day to all my friends here on EIC. Just thought I'd mention the storm we're starting to get here. They say it's going to be the worst blizzard in 50 years. (That remains to be seen) . This is my first winter in the new house so we shall see how it "weathers the storm". I'm very glad I bought a new Toro snowblower for Christmas. Hope anyone on the east coast is safe and secure. That is all.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Those of us further south (Maryland) wish you all the best. I went out this afternoon to stock up on appropriate beverages. Stay safe!

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
I've heard conflicting reports but I live right on the ocean. We're going to get clobbered either way but the difference is a foot here or there. I have all my devices on charge as well as battery backups just in case. I don't have a generator but if power should go out for an extended time I'm sure I can get one. My only fear is this 100 foot pine tree in the back yard. It's very close to the house and has many dead "arms" sticking off it. (that most likely weigh 200-300 lbs). The snow has been falling since noon today but wasn't supposed to really pick up until 7PM. (which it has). It' s now 8PM and the wind is starting to pick up. I think the worst of it won't really start until midnight tonight and continue throughout Tuesday. I think we have maybe 3-4 inches here now.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Hey, I went to college for 4 years in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario and lived for 2 years in the Detroit suburbs. For me, it was always "colder" in the warm, damp of Maryland versus the dry cold up North.
YMMV

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just in from my second trip of shoveling. So there's more coming. :eek:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would like to shovel a bit but I'm thinking I want to let it build up enough to use the snowblower.
I've got an electric snowblower. It's good up until about 10 inches. After that, it's going to get ugly. If I wake up to 2 feet plus of snow, I'm in deep snow.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Mine's gas and good from 4-14 inches. Since I haven't used it yet, I'm not sure how it would handle more than two feet. The winds are really starting to pick up here. I'm watching the snow blow up and sideways quite often. They say it's still a couple hours before the storm actually hits. It's 10:30PM here now.

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I'm in coastal Boston. Not much activity except the high winds- just a few inches or so and more in the snow drifts. I too am thankful I have a good size snow blower... I let my cousin next door use it then he does our property and sidewalks. Not a bad deal! My sister is on Cape Cod where much more snow has fallen. Her husband is heading back into work (lineman for NSTAR electric co). Getting text updates from him is better than watching the news!
For those of you who could be affected by this storm-stay safe & help others, especially if you have elderly neighbors! ❄️⛄️

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using iCafe Forums

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
I am down on the Cape as well. I'm guessing 5-6 inches so far and it's yet to begin really. I live near Sandwich. I'm debating breaking the snow blower out now but I really don't want to disturb my neighbors at this hour of the evening.

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I am down on the Cape as well. I'm guessing 5-6 inches so far and it's yet to begin really. I live near Sandwich. I'm debating breaking the snow blower out now but I really don't want to disturb my neighbors at this hour of the evening.
Have you lost power yet? The winds are crazy down there and on the islands. Your snow blower will get a workout today!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using iCafe Forums

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Well, I'm guessing the worst of it is over. The winds are still really hard. I'm guessing 18" with 2-3 foot drifts. I finally got to use the snowblower and I must say... It cut through all that deep snow without missing a beat. I had to take it slow since it was higher than the front of the snowblower but it cleaned right down to the asphalt. I can only imagine having to shovel all that snow. What's bizarre is that it seemed like I was out there for hours and it was only a hour and a half. Now to see what this afternoon will bring. Haha.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
A meteorologist apologized online about basically being wrong with the prediction. It wasn't but a few inches of snow.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Well, I was surprised to see another 8 inches of snow overnight. That brings us to a grand total of 26 inches for this storm. I have to give kudos to the electric company. The power never went out. I live in a fairly rural area and the roads seem to be cleared (as well as they can be at this time). The new snowblower which I've fondly named "Chompy" performed beyond my expectations. (Even knocking down some 5 foot drifts). Now that this snow has been dealt with, I imagine I can prepare for the storm they say is coming this weekend. :)
IMG_1617smallest.jpg

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Just in from my second trip of shoveling. So there's more coming. :eek:
At least the weathermen got it right for you. We were expecting 18-24 inches and I got 3.5 inches. My Honda snowblower can handle it all. Might take me going out twice, but it sure saves my back.