New iMessage Notification

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by 47seijar, Dec 28, 2016.

1. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I will be in my email app or Safari and a new iMessage will come in. The banner pops up at the top of the screen, but since updating to 10.2 the notification doesn't go away until I click on it or go into iMessage. It used to pop up and then vanish after a couple seconds. This is a real pain in the pattute because it often covers a "Send" button on the app its interrupting. Anybody else notice/hate this?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Do you have the notifications set to Banner? When I upgraded it seemed to change it to Alert, which stays on the screen.
    Banner notifications should go away in a few seconds.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I take it you’ve already checked over at Settings > Notifications > Messages to make sure that Alert Style is still Banners and not Alerts?

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Alerts would show as a pop up in the middle of the screen. The banner drops down from the top. I've had this happen some on iOS 10 as well. Not every time.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I know how they work. :)

iOS shows you a very nice and unequivocal animation showing the difference between Banners and Alerts right there at the screen in question.

The point of my post was to ask the OP if he’d already checked there in order to resolve his issue. It could be that the update to iOS 10.2 changed which type of notification he wanted (without his permission), although I personally don’t recall having this experience. YMMV and the OP’s MMV.

6. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I checked my settings and have banners selected. But I think I've figured it out. Q quick tap of the Home button dismisses the banner. I'm feeling kinda stupid for not trying that. :oops:

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Also, some banner notifications require you take an action, similar to the pop up alert. These hang there until you do something. Most like this seem to come from the Reminders app.

8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Just to dig this discussion back up and provide some more info, when you get the banner popup on the screen you can also swipe it upward to make it disappear. It leaves any message unread.