New Internet Browsers Available via App Store

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
I haven't tried any of these because I'm not gonna pay for a web browser (unless it has flash :) ) But the idea of third-party browser seems kind of silly since it has to call on the Apple framework and langauge. How can these be better? One browser does offer tabbed browsing.. but doesn't have bookmarks? silly.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I tried Edge Browser and I really don't get the point of it. All it does is show you a website in fullscreen (without the address bar and navigation tools.) You have to go to Settings-Edge Browser just to put the url in for the site you want to see. IMO it's just a waste of time.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I tried Edge Browser and I really don't get the point of it. All it does is show you a website in fullscreen (without the address bar and navigation tools.) You have to go to Settings-Edge Browser just to put the url in for the site you want to see. IMO it's just a waste of time.
I've seen these new 'browsers' defined as being more like browser extensions or add-ons, as they're all based on WebKit (as Safari is) and they all seem to do one or two things that Mobile Safari doesn't - one covers your browsing tracks for you, one offers a sort of half-arsed sounding 'tabbed browsing' experience, and so on.

The genera consensus still seems to be that Apple is unlikely to let in 'real' (not based on WebKit) alternative browsers, like Firefox or Opera for example ...

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've seen these new 'browsers' defined as being more like browser extensions or add-ons, as they're all based on WebKit (as Safari is) and they all seem to do one or two things that Mobile Safari doesn't - one covers your browsing tracks for you, one offers a sort of half-arsed sounding 'tabbed browsing' experience, and so on.

The genera consensus still seems to be that Apple is unlikely to let in 'real' (not based on WebKit) alternative browsers, like Firefox or Opera for example ...
You're right Patrick - Apple wont allow any "real" browsers on the iPhone. But it's still nice to see these "plugins" for alternative browsing..

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I was excited to get one of these browsers hoping at least one of them didn't have accelerometer support so I could use the Internet while lying on my side, but the I found the NoRotation mod via Cydia and now I'm happy.

I would love to see Opera finally become available on the app store! Why don't they release it as a jailbroken app?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You're right Patrick - Apple wont allow any "real" browsers on the iPhone. But it's still nice to see these "plugins" for alternative browsing..
I agree. None of those so far released grabs me as something I want / need right this moment - but I'm sure there'll be plenty more released ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Apple is unlikely to let in 'real' (not based on WebKit) alternative browsers, like Firefox or Opera for example ...
Didn't Microsoft get in a bit of hot water a while back for similar tactics? Hmmm.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Didn't Microsoft get in a bit of hot water a while back for similar tactics? Hmmm.
I'm no lawyer, but bollocks, I'll take my chances against a musician :laugh2: - I think MS' situation might be different because they may have been seen to be putting pressure on PC makers (just learned I cannot spell manufacturer in any sort of plural way) regarding not putting other browsers on OEM images, or maybe it was just the IE being incorporated into the OS itself being seen as uncompetitive. I think Apple can make any rules they like in the App Store - otherwise I don't think their recent book censorship would be legal either.

Wow, definitely no lawyer me, and definitely a lot of bollocks above ...

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I agree. Deleted.

miloko

Oct 14, 2008
can someone help me post a new thread

How do you start a new thread. The subject I need to start a thread on is how to delete AOL email

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm no lawyer, but bollocks, I'll take my chances against a musician :laugh2: - I think MS' situation might be different because they may have been seen to be putting pressure on PC makers (just learned I cannot spell manufacturer in any sort of plural way) regarding not putting other browsers on OEM images, or maybe it was just the IE being incorporated into the OS itself being seen as uncompetitive. I think Apple can make any rules they like in the App Store - otherwise I don't think their recent book censorship would be legal either.

Wow, definitely no lawyer me, and definitely a lot of bollocks above ...
Hehe, a bit perhaps.

From what I remember about the lawsuit, they were in trouble for bundling Internet Explorer into the OS without any way for OEMs to remove it. I know they lost, but I still have never seen an installation of Windows without Internet Explorer, nor could I tell you how to uninstall IE!

It sure seems Apple is being rather noncompetitive with their iPhone OS and browser, innit? Just saying...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I would love to see Opera finally become available on the app store! Why don't they release it as a jailbroken app?
A... men... I reeeeeally want to know how the iPhone version of opera is running on the iPhones. I'll bet it crashes like... never. As opposed to every 5 minutes for Safari.

I wonder if it'll get leaked to cydia. It's definitely not making it to the appstore, especially if the other browsers are all based on webkit. But I doubt (for some reason) that Opera is going to PUT their browser on cydia.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I would prefer mobile firefox but I would think Opera would make an iPhone browser before mozila.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I would prefer mobile firefox but I would think Opera would make an iPhone browser before mozila.
You are right. They DID make an iPhone browser before mozilla. Operasoft sent it to Apple for approval and it was denied, for obvious reasons: competition against Safari.