New iPad 2 - iPad overload

bingoldsby

Bronze
May 25, 2011
It's a beautiful gadget, and I don't regret buying it a couple if days ago. I do have some questions.

Is there something similar to an icon on the springboard that links to individual files (PDF) or the like, such as can be done in Windows?

I see "Not Charging" indicated when I have the thing plugged into the computer or my 5000 mAh battery. It is however charging, as the percentage of charge goes up if I let it sit that way for a while. What's with that?

There seems to be no setting which puts up the free memory like the iPhone4 does. Not that it matters much, but the crowd of open apps in the background can get quite large at times.

While I haven't tested the battery longevity yet, it does seem unlikely for it to last anywhere near 10 hours. I'll have to try that claim out.

And I sure wish the apostrophy (SP?) was located on the first group of keys somewhere. Perhaps I should not be typing so many contractions. After all... I am a big Star Trek fan.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
It's a beautiful gadget, and I don't regret buying it a couple if days ago. I do have some questions.

Is there something similar to an icon on the springboard that links to individual files (PDF) or the like, such as can be done in Windows?
Okay if I understand you right here's my answer- there is no viewable file system. However if you send yourself a PDF in an email you can open it in an app like good reader.

I see "Not Charging" indicated when I have the thing plugged into the computer or my 5000 mAh battery. It is however charging, as the percentage of charge goes up if I let it sit that way for a while. What's with that?
It says not charging because it is slowly charging. If you use the included wall adapter to charge the iPad it will charge faster.

There seems to be no setting which puts up the free memory like the iPhone4 does. Not that it matters much, but the crowd of open apps in the background can get quite large at times.
No idea what you're talking about because I don't think there is anything in settings in the iPad or iPhone to free up memory. Just close the apps by holding and touching the minus sign in the fast app switcher.

While I haven't tested the battery longevity yet, it does seem unlikely for it to last anywhere near 10 hours. I'll have to try that claim out.
Actually it isn't unlikely I get about 9 hours out of when I charge it at 20-28%. Meaning that when it is dead it would be 10 hours.

And I sure wish the apostrophe was located on the first group of keys somewhere. Perhaps I should not be typing so many contractions. After all... I am a big Star Trek fan.
Now I might be wrong because I'm not with my iPad right now but swipe up on the period(or something near it on the main keyboard.)[/quote]

bingoldsby

Bronze
May 25, 2011
Alrighty then. First I've found the apostrophy function you hinted at... isn't that cool. Thue memory thing I was writing about would be the display of free memory across the top - such as the iPhone does. Again, nbd. I finally found a discussion by google search which addresses the charging issue, and I understand. As far as file-system goes... well, I'd just like to be able to open a pdf or image that I want to refer to frequently, by having an icon for it on the (desktop) springboard. I guess maybe I'm trying to hold a little tight to Windows.

As with the iPhone, there's a bazillion apps out there, and I wish there was some kind if an "app dictionary" which would make it easier to discover some of the good ones.

I have the (1 1/2 month old) iPhone well jailbroken. It's a Verizon, and about one way to have dine that, I think. How about this iPad? Is it worth the effort to do that? If so, I'm counting on getting some reliable info and advice here... I'll be looking.

Thanks much.

Brian
Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Well try using auto correct for your apostrophes I almost never type one in myself because the iPad just does such a good of doing it for me. And about the free memory it sounds like that is a jailbreak tweak but I'm unsure since I don't jailbreak my iOS devices. And as far as jail breaking the iPad 2 goes the best/maybe only way is to jailbreak me.com but do it before the next Apple update occurs since Apple wants to get rid of the PDF exploit that it uses to jailbreak the iPad 2.