new iPad mini

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

09_SERG

Bronze
Jan 24, 2009
Hi everyone, I am a U.S. citizen living and working in Canada, and I couldn't give up my US phone number and didn't want to carry two phones..... But I want to surf the web, check emails etc... So I bought an ipad mini with a canadian data plan, much cheaper than data roaming and a lot more bytes.

So, on this iPad mini when I type it doesn't show the letter above my finger like my iPhone does, I have searched the settings menus and can not correct this. Does the iPads not do this? Is mine defective, or is there something I missed?

Really appreciate the help or input.

Get out and have a great day.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That is normal. I'm not sure why Apple programmed it that way, but iPads don't show the letters above the keyboard as you type like iPhones do.

09_SERG

Bronze
Jan 24, 2009
That is normal. I'm not sure why Apple programmed it that way, but iPads don't show the letters above the keyboard as you type like iPhones do.
Well...! That need to change! Thanks for that, I thought maybe my new iPad Mini was defaulted or I was defaulted.

Oct 2, 2013
Debating and deliberating on whether to keep my 32gb mini or push the boat out and get the 128gb retina version in space grey, your thoughts are you debating and deliberating as well

Sent using iCafe app

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
If can afford it why not. Newer is always better right?

Sent from my iPad using my finger.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, I have been debating. I want to trade my iPad mini and get the new one but so far I haven't found anyone to give me $400 - $500.
How many GB is your mini? I'd plan on having to come up with about half the cost after you sell your old mini.

There is no way around paying some of the cost out of pocket when you upgrade an iPad. We can't upgrade for free like we do with iPhones since we aren't getting a $450 discount on the hardware by the carrier to match depreciation and cover the early upgrade fee. Additionally, the retina mini costs $70 more than the non-retina mini cost last year. I sold my 1st generation 16 GB iPad mini for $200 ($130 less than I paid for it one year prior), so that made the cost of the retina mini half price.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
YouTube

Tonka Trucks

Campbell's Soup

Hershey's Chocolate

Cracker Jack Prizes

I could go on...
So true. A lot of things are built to only last a couple years now. My mom still has her sewing machine from high school in the '60s. My dad has made a couple minor repairs on it over the years. She's dreading the day it breaks when she will have to get a cheap plastic one. The thing is all metal, weighs a ton and is built to last.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
So true. A lot of things are built to only last a couple years now. My mom still has her sewing machine from high school in the 60s. My dad has made a couple minor repairs on it over the years. She's dreading the day it breaks when she will have to get a cheap plastic one. The thing is all metal, weighs a ton and is built to last.
Your mom still has GE's first transistor radio. She has radioactive flatware. Your mom is amazing.

Ms Cola

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
www.marykay.com
How many GB is your mini? I'd plan on having to come up with about half the cost after you sell your old mini.

There is no way around paying some of the cost out of pocket when you upgrade an iPad. We can't upgrade for free like we do with iPhones since we aren't getting a $450 discount on the hardware by the carrier to match depreciation and cover the early upgrade fee. Additionally, the retina mini costs $70 more than the non-retina mini cost last year. I sold my 1st generation 16 GB iPad mini for $200 ($130 less than I paid for it one year prior), so that made the cost of the retina mini half price.

It's a white 32g, so how much you think I could get for it?

Sent using iCafe app

Ms Cola

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
www.marykay.com

Are there much difference in the two of them? Are you glad you sold your first one?

Sent using iCafe app

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
There is no way around paying some of the cost out of pocket when you upgrade an iPad. We can't upgrade for free like we do with iPhones since we aren't getting a $450 discount on the hardware by the carrier to match depreciation and cover the early upgrade fee.
This is mostly true but I did see if you buy with a 2 year contract with AT&T the discount the iPad mini with retina display wifi+cellular by $100. Not worth it in my book but maybe for someone else it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited by a moderator: