new iPad retina display suppliers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mfox, Mar 13, 2012.

1. mfox

mfox New Member

new ipad retina display suppliers?

I understand that the retina displays for the new ipad are being manufactured by Sharp, Samsung, and LG, and that the Sharp one is different Izgo) from the others. I'm sure it probably doesn't matter that I know, but when I receive my new ipad on March 19th, is there a way I will be able to discover which manufacturer made my display?
    Thanks

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

This same thing came up with the iPhone 4S for me. I found out that the displays were made by different manufactuers and I asked around to see if there was a way to find out who made which one because I thought my display had more yellow in it than my iPhone 4 did and I just knew that other displays for the iPhone 4S were more vibrant. I was so pissed, but I soon found out that all the displays were the same althought manufactuered with different makers. The iPhone 4 displays were a little more blue while the iPhone 4S displays were a little more yellow.

It won't matter which manufactuere made your display or your neighbors, the Retina display is gorgeous. I'm sure Apple wil make sure all displays for the New iPad are all the same like they did for the iPhones.

3. mfox

mfox New Member

4. mfox

mfox New Member

Thanks. i thought I was the only one to be this obsessive about this type of thing. I had read the one of the 3 supplied ipad displays might be lighter, or have more edge lighting, or something better than the others. I'll stop worrying.

5. mfox

mfox New Member

It looks like one rumor now is that the sole supplier is Samsung...

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Yes, I just read that on 9to5 Mac.

Oh the irony. Samsung is the sole initial supplier of the iPad Retina Display –Bloomberg/iSuppli

g/iSuppli
    Seth Weintraub Apple Inc Discussion (4)

March 13, 2012 at 9:27 am
    [​IMG].
    Blurrycam images of Samsung Retina displays
    Bloomberg quoting iSuppli:
    Samsung Electronics Co. will supply the touch screen for Apple Inc.’s new iPad after LG Display Co. and Sharp Corp didn’t meet the U.S. company’s quality requirements, according to an analyst with iSuppli.
    Samsung, the world’s top flat-panel maker, currently is the sole vendor of the display for the 9.7-inch device, said Vinita Jakhanwal, a senior manager at iSuppli, a unit of Englewood, Colorado-based IHS Inc.​
    The “Frenemy” pact gets tighter. Apple is obviously involved with lawsuits around the world which accuse the very same Samsung of voilating its IP with Android phones and tablets.
    Samsung also manufactures Apple’s A5X processor at its Austin Texas fab and has made every iOS device processor since the original iPhone rolled off the assembly line. We recently gathered images of Samsung Retina Displays making their way to new iPads.
    “The display specifications on the new iPad are very demanding in terms of the very high resolution,” Jakhanwal said in an e-mail. “Achieving this high resolution without compromising on the power consumption and brightness and maintaining Apple’s quality standards are supposedly proving to be a challenge for LG Display and Sharp.”​
    Samsung does make a mighty nice display.

#6 Sharunda, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014