New iPhone 6 setups

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by jalalawi, May 22, 2015.

1. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

Just setup my new iPhone 6 and have restored my iPhone 5 to it and I had an malfunction in my iPhone 5 that under the Photos Albums the folders or Tabs such as "Video" and "Deleted Items" and the other folder have been disappeared all of a sadden and only "Camera Roll" and "Favourites" remain and when I restored my iPhone5 to my new iPhone6 the same thing happened and I don't have for example the "Deleted Items" and the other folders and only "Camera Roll" and "Favourites". How can I restore these folders under the Album?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This is what my photos app looks like on iPhone 6+. How did you restore your phone? Was it via iTunes? Were you jailbroken?

If you're referring to folders you added into the photos app yourself, I'm unsure if these return when you restore from backup. I would think they should.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1432341179.753098.jpg

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I strongly recommend setting up new generations of iPhones from scratch. When you set them up from backups that were made on old hardware, especially if it was jailbroken, you are increasing the odds of problems. It's only once a year or two that you get a new generation of a phone and it is well worth it to take the time to set it up from scratch. It shouldn't take you more than a couple hours. A lot of the content will carry over when you log into iCloud in the Settings app (I do NOT mean restoring from an iCloud back up - I'm referring to syncing iCloud content over the air).

That said, are you able to access new videos that you take on the iPhone 6? Does the heart turn blue when you mark a photo as a favorite?

4. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

I was with Apple Support over the chatting for around 5 hours trying to help me to resolve this odd but unfortunately we couldn't succeed as they suggested that I have a corrupted file in my old iPhone5 backup and the same corrupted file transferred to the new iPhone6 during the Backup Restore then they advised to Restore the iPhone6 and then restore the backup of the iPhone5 and after doing that we found that the same thing remains and nothing changed. They promised to continue communicating with me trying to resolve the issue.

5. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

I am not referring to folders added by me but I am referring to the folders created by default such as Video folder and Recently Deleted.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Restoring to factory settings will fix it.

7. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

We did that but the problem in restoring the iPhone5 backup

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do not use the backup. Restore to factory settings and set it up from scratch.

9. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

I need my backup data

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Then you will have to deal with this problem. Are your old text messages and game saves more important than these folders?

If you decide to restore, the only things you will lose are some of your game saves (some of them are in iCloud Drive) and your old text messages. Your apps, music and movies can be synced through iTunes. Your photos can be transferred in a multitude of ways. Your contacts, Safari bookmarks, notes, iBook bookmarks, notes and calandars all sync over the air through iCloud syncing.

You will need to log into and set up third party apps after the restore, put your phone settings in and add your WiFi passwords.

I always set new hardware up from scratch. It's not that bad. It takes a couple hours, but it's only once a year. I don't care about my old text messages. I delete them periodically anyway.

11. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

I mainly concerned about third party application that have important data considering that I will copy my photos and videos and my contacts and calendar also can be restored from iCloud.

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If I understand correctly, if you have iCloud Drive turned on you can backup some 3rd party apps via iCloud. While I do have this feature turned on, I have yet to test restoring these saved apps to a new or restored device. Also, you may need to buy more iCloud storage space depending on how much data is being stored in those apps.

Unfortunately, iCloud Drive only lets you backup certain third party apps. To see which apps are eligible on your device go to Settings>iCloud>iCloud Drive.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Which 3rd party app are you concerned about?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you don't need to use a backup to sync your contacts and calendars. Those sync over the air through iCloud and don't require the usage of an iCloud or iTunes backup. You can set the phone up as a new device and then log into iCloud through the settings app and all of your contacts, bookmarks, notes and calendars will appear on the phone.

So it's just some of the third party apps that you are concerned about losing data for, and some of them sync data through iCloud so it will be a non-issue with many of them. As @Kadelic said, go to iCloud Drive to see which are syncing data. You'll just have to log back into most apps and won't lose anything. You might lose texts and game saves through third party apps that don't sync through iCloud, but not much else. You'll just have to decide if that data is more important than regaining the folders in the Photos app.