New iPhone - A couple of usability questions...

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
1. When I have favorites or bookmarks, how can I re-order them? It seems the only way to do this is delete them all and add them back in the order I want, but this is quite annoying. It seems like I could drag them around, but I can't seem to. wtf?

2. GPS - Is there any (plans for) GPS function built in to further enhance Google Maps? Is there at least the feature to let 911 know where you are via GPS (should you happen to call 911 in an emergency)?

3. How come the iPhone doesn't show up as a Mounted Hard Drive, like my other iPods do? I want to copy some files over (not via iTunes) and use this as a portable USB HD. Any ideas how?

4. I'm trying to copy some DVDs onto my iPhone and so far I've used both "PQ DVD to iPhone" and "Cucusoft DVD to iPhone" and neither work. PQ complained about "could not find suitable output format" and Cucusoft just sat there at 1% (12KB created) and never progressed.. Any ideas/recommendations? Do I have to pay for the real versions for them to really work? :)

5. Is there any concept of a Home Page for iPhone Safari? I didn't see it anywhere.

6. It seems like the 90' screen rotate function is only applicable in certain apps, like Safari and IPod (mp3) mode. How can I force this when I'm, say, in SMS mode or even just beginning to search on YouTube for something? The narrow keyboard is kind of hard to use while holding the iPhone itself. Maybe I'll get used to it, though.. *sigh*

7. Any games for the iPhone yet? I heard there's a lot of web-based apps coming, so perhaps some web-based games could also work? :)

Thanks,
Kevin

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
Ok, I figured some out..

1. When you click on EDIT, then on the right of the bookmark/list you'll see a few == marks. Tap those with your fingers and you can drag each item wherever you want, in any order. Note: In Safari, the built-in bookmarks cannot be separated (but they can be nuked!)

4. I got it, finally! I had to use DVD Decrypter to get the VOB files and then Videora (free download from here: http://pspvideo9.intarnut.com/videoraipodconverter_Installer.exe) to convert it to iPhone (make a new profile called iPhone) with 480x360 with 512bit rate.

I also have some other interesting discoveries:

- The Google Maps are indeed DIFFERENT! :(

- YouTube shows only a subset of videos (most know this by now) (example: Go do a search for "wiggles" and you will find nothing you want to show your 3 year old)

- WiFi takes precedence over EDGE, so leave it on for those times when you're surfing at home/work/starbucks

Hopefully someone from Apple is monitoring these threads for ways they can improve this "solution" as a whole..