New iPhone Adopters In For A Tightrope Walk?

Revs9k01

Jul 2, 2007
I really hope that this is not true but please read before I go on my rant below.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iPhone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208700177&subSection=All+Stories

Current iPhone users are automatically eligible to buy the 3G iPhone, but potential new users might have to prove they are worthy.
AT&T (NYSE: T) on Tuesday gave a list of criteria for upgrading to Apple's 3G iPhone that goes on sale July 11.

The exclusive wireless carrier for the iPhone in the United States said customers using the smartphone today are automatically eligible for an upgrade to the new iPhone at the subsidized price of $199 for the 8-GB model and $299 for 16-GB version, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel told InformationWeek. As in all upgrades at the subsidized price, customers have to sign a new two-year contract no matter where they are in their current contract.

If a person bought an iPhone on or after May 27, then they get to upgrade at no additional charge, and get a refund for the difference between the price of the old iPhone and the subsidized 3G model, minus a 10% restocking fee.

For AT&T customers using something other than an iPhone, the upgrade process is trickier. In order to be eligible for the subsidized price, customers have to first meet AT&T's credit criteria. Siegel declined to give details, saying that people are judged on an individual basis. "It really varies from person to person," Siegel said. "There's a whole lot of variables, and I would hate to give specific criteria."

Payment history is certainly one factor, but customers will have to call AT&T, go to one of its stores, or check online to know for sure whether they're creditworthy, as defined by AT&T. Also weighing into the decision is how long the person has left on the current contract. Again, that's also a slippery slope, since it's tied to the person's credit standing. "It's not a one-size-fits-all approach," Siegel said.

People who are ineligible for the subsidized price can certainly buy an iPhone for the "unsubsidized price," Siegel said. What that is, however, has yet to be determined. AT&T will release that price sometime before the iPhone goes on sale.

One thing for certain, the new iPhone will require a minimum $30-a-month data plan, versus $20 for the original model, for the length of the two-year contract. Consumer electronics retailer Best Buy (NYSE: BBY) has posted a general list of criteria for AT&T cell phone upgrades.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs introduced the 3G iPhone June 10 at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. Unlike the original iPhone, the new model supports carriers' faster 3G, or third generation, data networks. The 3G iPhone will be available in 22 countries, versus six for the original, when it ships. Apple plans to make the smartphone available in 70 countries by the end of the year.
:mad:Can someone please tell me that I am not going to be waiting an hour in front of the At&t Gestapo as he/she determines whether or not I am worthy! I swear if this is what I have to expect from a company whom I am already a “paying” customer of and have been (unfortunately) for quite some time now, then they can take that iPhone and shove it!:mad:

/rant off

:cool:;)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I really hope that this is not true but please read before I go on my rant below.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iPhone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208700177&subSection=All+Stories

:mad:Can someone please tell me that I am not going to be waiting an hour in front of the At&t Gestapo as he/she determines whether or not I am worthy! I swear if this is what I have to expect from a company whom I am already a “paying” customer of and have been (unfortunately) for quite some time now, then they can take that iPhone and shove it!:mad:

/rant off

:cool:;)

If you don't have an iPhone contract currently, then you need to call AT&T customer service and see if you're eligible for an upgrade. That's the way they do all their phones that are subsidized. Last year, they let everyone get an iPhone because they weren't subsidizing the cost. We, the early adopters, paid the entire price of the equipment. It's really no different than if you wanted any other handset that AT&T carries.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
iPhone unlocking,, here we come. I'm gonna sell iPhones to Africa.

O2 has already said it will be selling iPhones on their PAYG system, so that should be interesting.

People who are ineligible for the subsidized price can certainly buy an iPhone for the "unsubsidized price," Siegel said. What that is, however, has yet to be determined. AT&T will release that price sometime before the iPhone goes on sale.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I think this is nothing. As with any phone purchase you need to qualify.

Yes, if you are already ATT then they have more history on you and that can work against you if you have had issues.

Regardless, you can always get a new iPhone and start a new account...but you still need to qualify.

Now, if you want out of your current contract to get the iPhone, then ATT has more say in whether they will let you do that. If you have been a good customer, they may allow it for a small fee....but there is nothing that makes it mandatory that they release you from your current deal. That was a nicety they offered to get you into a V1 phone.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think this is nothing. As with any phone purchase you need to qualify.

ditto that. qualifying for a new cell phone contract requires a credit check with any of the major carriers, non? the iPhone should be no different, and i think this article portrays this part of the process as more of a big deal than it really is...

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
can you imagine the lines one 7/11? Even if its a quarter of the people from the first release, the contract finalizing time will take up hours over the course of the day. (its 3pm) "Now serving customer number 20, customer number 20 please come to the genius bar to activate your new iPhone"......

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
This was the same practice with the original iPhone. They run a in house credit check and you move to the next step. Just walk in an AT&T store and take the 5 or so minutes to verify you can qualify, or you can call them. I you don't qualify that is another story for they have not posted the price.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
can you imagine the lines one 7/11? Even if its a quarter of the people from the first release, the contract finalizing time will take up hours over the course of the day. (its 3pm) "Now serving customer number 20, customer number 20 please come to the genius bar to activate your new iPhone"......
It won't take that long. They're qualifying your for a $200 credit. It'll only take about 3-5 minutes to run the credit check. It's no different than setting up service at any carrier.