NEW iPhone APP: Voice Recorder!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

alexster

Jul 15, 2007
Erica from TUAW has done it again!

C/P from http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/05/iphone-voice-recorder-utility/
My iPhone broke. The screen just died a slow death, getting brighter and brighter and then very hot and then...nothing...over the course of a morning. With no phone to play with this morning, I did a lot of thinking and hunting through iPhone foundation files instead. And I seemed to find quite a lot of interesting calls in the Celestial framework, specifically the AVRecorder class.

I was pretty sure the capability was in there to begin with--after all, didn't the Steve promise us one back in the January Keynote? So that certainty made the class hunt go a little quicker.

When I returned home from the Apple Store Genius Bar with my new loaner, I put all that thought into code and this is what turned up: my newly written iPhone Voice Recorder utility. Yes, it is little more than a proof-of-concept but (a) it works, and (b) is the first step towards iPhone VOIP.

The recorder saves in Adaptive Multi-rate format (.amr files) that you can play back in QuickTime. I put them into the /tmp folder and tell you the name of the file when you finish your recording.

As always, I'd love to hear feedback and questions.

Update: Improved version with app wrapper is here.

Download the app here: http://www.gofilego.com/?fileid=84964a1e6ff4978ce7389e09473c6fd940d5cfcb

or the app wrapper version here: http://www.gofilego.com/?fileid=39bd92bf73b13df4d880129233803c488ca84856

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
too bad I am a complete idoit when it comes to programming hacking anything to do with MAC, or I would love to have this app installed.
Anyone care to hand hold a PC user through the install? We're talking baby steps here...

chefj

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I would also like to see this for the PC....this is a very missed function for me, I don't have time to always write a note so this is a very need thing for the iPhone. Glad someone did it.

chefj

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Please.... I havebeen scratching my head for a while now. Anybody help a guy out?;)

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
don't titillate

if you can't help.

Is there something wrong with helping those of us who don't compute as a day job? You put all that exciting information on this site and leave no instructions for the average Joe (male or female) to use it. It seems that the ones who know how to "do it" think it's below them to help the ones who don't.

If you know how to install this app, then post it in a way that common folks like those of us who deliver mail or babies can use it.

i would like to get this working on my phone also and the screenshot utility.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
It seems that the ones who know how to "do it" think it's below them to help the ones who don't. If you know how to install this app, then post it in a way that common folks like those of us who deliver mail or babies can use it.
The fact is, there is no 3 click solution (currently) to put applications on the iPhone. Even the clearest tutorials require terminal hacking and certain technical proficiency. It's not meant for the average Joe at all... yet.

To quote Erica Sadun over at TUAW (the author of this app):
At this time, to load applications, you really need to be able to use Unix. First, you jailbreak your phone, which is a command-line utility. Next you run the ssh installer shell. Then you start sftp'ing over files and making them executable. If this all sounds like something you'll be comfortable doing...
If I haven't lost you at this point, then you might be a good candidate to try this stuff out... but this information is beyond the scope of this forum.

alexster

Jul 15, 2007
if you can't help.

Is there something wrong with helping those of us who don't compute as a day job? You put all that exciting information on this site and leave no instructions for the average Joe (male or female) to use it. It seems that the ones who know how to "do it" think it's below them to help the ones who don't.

If you know how to install this app, then post it in a way that common folks like those of us who deliver mail or babies can use it.
I'm the one who posted this here and frankly I have never modded my iPhone so don't attack the poster. I know many of you hear have jailbreak'd and modded your iPhones and loaded applications already; my post was for those people.

chefj

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
If I haven't lost you at this point, then you might be a good candidate to try this stuff out... but this information is beyond the scope of this forum.[/QUOTE]

Wow ! thanks for the help there teach.... or maybe i took this to harsh. Nahhhhh!

Maybe that is why i don't go to "THAT" forum, i like it in my nice, comfy, cozy, warm and fuzzy forum "HERE". Statements like that don't seem to inviting to a forum like "YOURS".

TAH TAH and good day to you:laugh2:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
What you rather the hackers do: spend their time babying idiots who will probably miss several steps anyway or do what they do best?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
What you rather the hackers do: spend their time babying idiots who will probably miss several steps anyway or do what they do best?
No, but at the same time, if they were to help someone get it done correctly, then there are 2 people who can help 2 more people, and then there are 4,8,16, etc.
Just a thought. I'd be willing to give it a shot if someone can send me the instructions step by step.