New iPhone - can you tell which version?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wineshop

Oct 28, 2007
Is there a way to tell from the box which version (1.1.2, 1.1.1) the iPhone inside will have?

I'm buying a new one and I wondered if studying the box (serial number, for example) might tip me off.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yes there is just look at the serial number on the box my sn is 7t746****** where the 46 is that is what week your phone is and i believe anything week 45 or higher is 1.1.2 and lower is going to be 1.1.1 and if you lucky and can get a real low week you could get a lower firmware

wineshop

Oct 28, 2007
yes there is just look at the serial number on the box my sn is 7t746****** where the 46 is that is what week your phone is and i believe anything week 45 or higher is 1.1.2 and lower is going to be 1.1.1 and if you lucky and can get a real low week you could get a lower firmware

Thanks! I picked up 2 today with 43 in the serial. Guess I did Ok!

Thanks again.

wineshop

Oct 28, 2007
I went into a small ATT store. I figured their iPhone turnover would be a little slower than an Apple store. Got lucky.

Now I have to figure out how the jailbreak one and unlock the other. There's so many guides out there it gets confusing. I don't want to screw the things up right out of the shoot!

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
what firmware you got on that joint. IF you have 1.1.1 don't upgrade to 1.1.2 yet. go to jailbreakme.com from phone and download program and your set

wineshop

Oct 28, 2007
what firmware you got on that joint. IF you have 1.1.1 don't upgrade to 1.1.2 yet. go to jailbreakme.com from phone and download program and your set
I did see those instructions elsewhere. Looked too easy!

Should I go ahead and activate the phone first - or does it matter (I'm using ATT).

It is 1.1.1 ( it has firmware version 04.01.13_G. That is 1.1.1 correct? )

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yeah go ahead and activate if your using att but make sure you don't upgrade the phone. it will ask you to but hit no. Ill be back on here in like 20 mins or so if you need help ill be able to help you

wineshop

Oct 28, 2007
Thank you. I've activated the phone. I think I'm going to use it for a few days or a week before I jailbreak. That way - in case the phone has some sort of issue I'll be able to get it taken care of without any problems from Apple. Then I'll jailbreak. I may give you a shout then, if that's ok, that is - if I have any questions.

One other thing - to unlock the other iPhone - is this the correct guide?
http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/111/iPhone_step_1.html

Once again - I appreciate the help.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yes thats cool with me. If you do jailbreak it and have any problems just restore the phone and then take to Apple they wont know anything you did to it ive had to do this before

wineshop

Oct 28, 2007
yes thats cool with me. If you do jailbreak it and have any problems just restore the phone and then take to Apple they wont know anything you did to it ive had to do this before
Ok - good to know. I would do a shift - restore back to 1.1.1, right?