New iPhone freezing problems...

My wife and I just purchased 16gb phones last week. She is having problems with her phone freezing when attempting to answer phone calls. It also has a tendency to freeze periodically during the day, in which it will not even turn off.

She synches her phone with her Vista based PC, if that makes any difference.

Anyone else having this problem, and if so, how did you get it fixed?

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Did you try holding down the home button and power switch simultaneously until the phone powers off than back on?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
That is a hard reset, similar to the reset switch on a computer. The data stays there. Since your phones are new you might want to try a restore. It will erase the content and settings. Better to do it early on if it fixes the problem. If you're not confident about a restore, you can take it to an Apple store for recommendations. They will most likely suggest a restore, too, however, if the phone then still exhibits the problem, they will replace it on the spot. How often do these problems crop up? If it's often enough to do it on demand, then I'd go ahead and take it to Apple.

Edit: after being given a new phone and hooking it back up to your computer, you will be prompted to restore from your backup or set up as a new phone. Restore from the backup to get contacts, texts, etc back.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Will she lose all of her "stuff" on the the phone (I.e. Her contacts)? Sorry for the basic questions, we are getting a little frustrated with the initial setup learning curve!

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it!
If you have a quite a few contacts ask here on how to back them up on your PC. When I returned my first phone I had to write every one of my contacts on a piece of paper while the genius stood there and waited for me. I was obviously rushed and unfortunately didn't have the time to write all of them down and ultimately lost many of them, so back them up just in case you have to return your wifes phone.

If you have a quite a few contacts ask here on how to back them up on your PC. When I returned my first phone I had to write every one of my contacts on a piece of paper while the genius stood there and waited for me. I was obviously rushed and unfortunately didn't have the time to write all of them down and ultimately lost many of them, so back them up just in case you have to return your wifes phone.
Shouldn't the contacts synch with iTunes?

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I sync mine with windows mail on my Vista machine. My wife has the exact same problems with her 16gb iPhone and it is also on Vista. I am convinced that Vista is causing problems with the iPhone. I have very few problems with mine but she always has problems.

If you call Apple they are going to tell you to restore the Phone, Then if that don't fix it they will tell you to uninstall and reinstall iTunes ( in a very specific order ) Then if that don't work ( which never has for me ) they will replace the Phone

We are going to Albuquerque Nm for Xmas and i am going to get hers replaced. I am also buying my macbook that same day WOOOOHOOOO i cant wait

Even though we occasionally have problems with our iPhones i wouldn't trade it for a different phone I love my iPhone

As an above post mentioned if you hold down the home and sleep button together UNTIL YOU SEE THE APPLE logo that is a reboot and takes care of almost all problems but if it continues to do it i would give Apple a call

icemanplh

Dec 17, 2008
missouri
ya i would sync in iTunes and then restore but it sounds like llrickman is having the same prob with his wife's phone so i would try what he said... or call Apple

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Shouldn't the contacts synch with iTunes?

No, not according to Apple technical support. I called about a different issue I was having the tech support rep walked me through it. I'd be happy to help you but have only backed up my contact list once and don't remember how it's done.

Sorry

No, not according to Apple technical support. I called about a different issue I was having the tech support rep walked me through it. I'd be happy to help you but have only backed up my contact list once and don't remember how it's done.

Sorry
No problem; I appreciate the help you have provided!

Dakx

May 3, 2009
Northern Ontario, Canada
I don't believe its a Vista problem as mentioned above, my phone is sync'd with my macbook and i'm having this problem quite often actually two calls in a row, I'm at a loss as to what to do. This is not the only problem i've been experiencing and my phone is only two days old.

However, i'm hoping that it will stop i'd rather not have to go through the hassle of getting a replacement.