New iPhone Going Into Production, Summer Release

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Apr 2, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

New iPhone going into production in Q2, so it's looking more and more like a summer release. They also say the low-cost iPhone isn't coming until the second half. That would lead me to believe Apple would want some spacing between these two announcements, no? Maybe a June announcement for the iPhone 5S and September, October for the cheap iPhone.

Thoughts?

#1 chris, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I think Apple is going to stick with a fall release. Why would they want to fiddle with AT&T's already finicky upgrade schemes? Oh, that's right, they're on other carriers plus T-Mobile now? Should be an interesting rumor season!

3. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

I read that article. It said sometime this quarter. So APRIL/MAY/JUNE. Maybe late May...

4. aknightstale41

Gold

Im done upgrading my iPhone and iPad, simply because i have all the features i need...only 128 gigs will seduce me now..:)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The fact that we don't have a 7.0 beta yet is pretty compelling evidence that the 5S is not coming out in a couple months. I think they'll stick with the fall timeframe for the iPods, iPhones and iPads now that they are all on track there. It makes sense from a a marketing standpoint. They can maximize sales if they do product releases right before Christmas. One year in between new models seems to be the sweet spot.

I also don't think we'll see a new "cheap" iPhone. I think the old iPhone models are the cheap iPhones and they don't need to create a new model to fill demand here since they already have existing stock of old models. They give the iPhone 4 away for free with contract now; I think they'll just continue to offer the two-year-old phones for free.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

The idea of a cheaper iPhone never really made sense to me, I just couldn't see Apple cheapening the product name with low end looking phones. What did make sense IMO was the idea of larger phone and a smaller phone, I guess time will tell :).

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

A fingerprint reader would tempt me, but not until a JB was available. I bet on a late summer release, less than a year from the 5.

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I agree with you, especially since the previous gen device effectively becomes the "cheaper" iPhone. Or, as in the case of the iPhone 4, free with contract. The large and small versions of the same new hardware (same specs under the hood but larger display, battery, flash drive) does make some sense. After all, it is well known that Apple doesn't mind cannibalizing it's own sales for various reasons.

9. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

There already is a cheaper iPhone... the 4/4S. :)

10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Yeah, like I just said.
    :)

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

As did I before you. :D

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold