New iPhone Going Into Production, Summer Release

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
New iPhone going into production in Q2, so it's looking more and more like a summer release. They also say the low-cost iPhone isn't coming until the second half. That would lead me to believe Apple would want some spacing between these two announcements, no? Maybe a June announcement for the iPhone 5S and September, October for the cheap iPhone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think Apple is going to stick with a fall release. Why would they want to fiddle with AT&T's already finicky upgrade schemes? Oh, that's right, they're on other carriers plus T-Mobile now? Should be an interesting rumor season!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The fact that we don't have a 7.0 beta yet is pretty compelling evidence that the 5S is not coming out in a couple months. I think they'll stick with the fall timeframe for the iPods, iPhones and iPads now that they are all on track there. It makes sense from a a marketing standpoint. They can maximize sales if they do product releases right before Christmas. One year in between new models seems to be the sweet spot.

I also don't think we'll see a new "cheap" iPhone. I think the old iPhone models are the cheap iPhones and they don't need to create a new model to fill demand here since they already have existing stock of old models. They give the iPhone 4 away for free with contract now; I think they'll just continue to offer the two-year-old phones for free.

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
The fact that we don't have a 7.0 beta yet is pretty compelling evidence that the 5S is not coming out in a couple months. I think they'll stick with the fall timeframe for the iPods, iPhones and iPads now that they are all on track there. It makes sense from a a marketing standpoint. They can maximize sales if they do product releases right before Christmas. One year in between new models seems to be the sweet spot.

I also don't think we'll see a new "cheap" iPhone. I think the old iPhone models are the cheap iPhones and they don't need to create a new model to fill demand here since they already have existing stock of old models. They give the iPhone 4 away for free with contract now; I think they'll just continue to offer the two-year-old phones for free.

The idea of a cheaper iPhone never really made sense to me, I just couldn't see Apple cheapening the product name with low end looking phones. What did make sense IMO was the idea of larger phone and a smaller phone, I guess time will tell :).

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The idea of a cheaper iPhone never really made sense to me, I just couldn't see Apple cheapening the product name with low end looking phones. What did make sense IMO was the idea of larger phone and a smaller phone, I guess time will tell :).
I agree with you, especially since the previous gen device effectively becomes the "cheaper" iPhone. Or, as in the case of the iPhone 4, free with contract. The large and small versions of the same new hardware (same specs under the hood but larger display, battery, flash drive) does make some sense. After all, it is well known that Apple doesn't mind cannibalizing it's own sales for various reasons.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
There already is a cheaper iPhone... the 4/4S. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, like I just said.

:)
As did I before you. :D

Bullgod

Bronze
Oct 15, 2012
They also get the back to school sales if they do a fall release

Cent frum my iPhone using iCafe app